🀣𝟢𝟤𝟤🀣

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ
↳ᴘᴜʀᴘʟᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ.

  You could still be what you want to
   What you said you were
When I met you

"You're not risking your life for the rest of us, we'll do this as a team, Rodríguez!"

"I'm going out there and I'm gonna bring Derek back. There's only way of stopping me and that's by taking that AK in your hand and putting a bullet in me."

You've got a warm heart
You've got a beautiful brain
But it's disintegrating

"I've got you, you're gonna live, I promise."

From all the medicine...

---

   "Mom, where's the glasses?" Mom and I were celebrating my first platinum single. It hit the top one hundred before becoming number one. "Same cabinet as before you left, if I'm right," She said. "They're not in there?" She sighed, pushed me aside and started rummaging through all the cabinets before finding some. "You know, I'm extremely proud of you, Zara. You really did it, if only your dad was here to see it."
   I smiled. "He is. He's always looking out for us, at least, that's what I like to believe." Mom popped open the sparkling cider bottle. She'd pour it into our glasses, and we'd clink to my success. "So, since we're on the topic of careers, have you thought about trying to get back into the medical field?" I asked. Mom was a nurse once upon a time, she ended up getting fired in the late stages of dad's CF journey.
   She nodded. "I was actually contacted by the board of directors at the hospital. They caught wind of my progress and asked me to come back whenever I feel ready... And I think I am ready." I grabbed her hand in mine, giving it a soft squeeze. "Mom, that's amazing. I'm so happy for you."
   "Not sure if the old scrubs will fit me anymore, probably gonna have to go shopping sometime this week."

   My phone would start ringing from beside me, an unknown number displaying across the screen. "Who is that?" She asked. I shrugged. "No idea." But I'd pick it up anyway. "Hello?" I answered. "Is this miss Zara Mahina?" A strong voice asked. "Uh, yeah? Can I ask who this is?" I questioned.
   "It's Sergeant Bullock, I'm calling in regards to Mateo Rodríguez. He's been badly injured while on active duty and is currently being flown back to Chicago. You were listed as the only next of kin." My heart started pounding out of my chest. Mom must've realized because she squeezed my hand really tight to rope me back to reality. "What happened?"
   "He risked his life saving one of the men in his platoon. Your boyfriend is a hero, Ms.Mahina. I'm very proud to say that he served under my command. I'll be there tomorrow morning to check in on the two of you. Get some rest, he'll be okay."

   But I couldn't sleep that night. I didn't want to. I'd stayed up all night in moms living room trying to wrap my head around that single phone call. What if it's bad? What if it's completely and utterly bad? What if it changed him and he's not the same person anymore?
   When morning did come and the sun started rising, I was sitting right by my phone when it blared through the living room. "Hello?"
   "Is this Zara Mahina?" They asked. "Yeah, it is. Is everything okay with Mateo?" I asked. "He's stable right now. I'm calling to let you know that the hospital is allowing you to come in before visiting hours... Favor for you and your mom from the board."
   Thank the stars... "I'll be right there." I'd hang up the call and speed run through my morning routine, waking mom up in the process. We broke at least five different laws getting over there. I slammed on the breaks when we reached the entrance, probably ruining them and my car in the process. We'd race inside and get through the doors, all the way until we had reached his room.
   He laid helplessly on that white hospital bed. It felt like my feet were glued to the floor when I'd reached the doorway. "Nani?" His own voice had betrayed him, cracking as the tears began to pool his eyes.

  "I'm here... I'm here, Theo." I'd never walked so fast in my life. In a matter of seconds I was by his side, holding his hand and trying to convince him that everything would be okay. "What happened out there?" I asked. He shut his eyes tight. "I uh... I went back for one of the men -- for Derek. I didn't see them coming... I hear them with everything else going on."
   "Where is he now?" I questioned. He shrugged, still avoiding my gaze. "I don't know... I don't know, I just hope he's okay. He's got a family and a new baby and a fiancé..."  I squeeze his hand a little tighter. "I'll ask Sergeant Bullock when he gets here but Theo, are you okay? That's what I need to know right now."
   He shook his head. "No..." He whispered, "I'm never gonna play football again." My heart had shattered in millions of pieces for him. His dream was crushed while I still got to live mine...

   Later that day, Sergeant Bullock stopped by just like he said he would. I was laying on the bed with Theo, and we'd both have to prompt him to stay still when he'd tried to salute his commanding officer. "What you did out there was dangerous son," he said. "I know," Theo said. "But it was brave, and I'm proud to tell you that you saved private Williams life with your actions. I've been informed of your nomination for a Purple Heart which you'll receive when you're better and up for the ceremony."
   I smiled down at the boy next to me. "When I called your girlfriend last night, she picked up the phone no hesitance, even without knowing the number. And she was able to sit through that call without crying or breaking down... I've really gotta give it to her, she's strong. You're lucky to have someone who'll stick by you through all of this."
   "She's the love of my life, Serge," he said. "I can see that. You wont be returning to base until we see you as fit to do so. Until then, I want you to take care of yourself. I'll check up on you in a week to see how you and miss Mahina are doing."
   With that, Sergeant Bullock made his way out. I turned back to Mateo. "You know, he told me I was listed as the only next of kin... I didn't think much of it until later that night. Why weren't your parents listed?" I asked. "My parents disowned me when they found out I was going into the military. They said the same thing you did, actually. That I shouldn't fight in a war that's not mine."

   I sighed. "I'm sorry for ever doubting your choices. If it even remotely makes up for it, I'm proud of you and what you did. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself on the line for someone you only knew for eight weeks."
   We'd laugh our first laugh together. "I wanna go to Cousins, I think it'll help me with recovery." If I were still the same me from months ago, I would've told him no. I would've protested and told him that it was a horrible idea. But It wasn't. Instead, I kissed his temple and rested my head on his shoulder. "I think that's a great idea, Theo. We can go whenever you're ready."

   Word Count: 1,283.