She never misses || XVII

"They'll put all kinds of stuff right in front, right in the mouth of the cornucopia. Go for it. Your specially trained in weaponry. Your allies will do the same." Brutus informed me as we headed towards the elevator. He pressed the button.

"They'll even have bows and arrows there too, if you can't get a good weapon," he continued, "the other tribes will try to turn, run and get out of there. Don't do that. Stay with the other Career's, as planned."

"Water's your new best friend," he added.

"Oh, and don't step off the pedestal early or they'll blow you up," Brutus warned once more.

"Don't worry, I wasn't planning on it," I smiled. The elevator doors finally opened, revealing a ship of some sort.

Brutus turned to face me. "Okay, you can do this." We both looked back at the ship.

"Thanks for everything," I said, giving him a hug.

I pulled away and started walking towards the ship. "Good luck."

I ascended the metal ramp and boarded the hovercraft. Clove was already seated, along with several other tributes. She smirked proudly at the fact that she was in the games. I went and sat in the free available seat next to her.

"Give me your arm," a woman said to Rue as she injected the girl with something, making her wince.

The woman then walked over to me. "Give me your arm."

"What is that?" I asked.

"Your tracker," she responded curtly. She injected the tracker into my arm, and a bright white light entered my arm.

The lights flickered and went off briefly before turning back on. Clove smirked as we felt the ship lift off from the ground.

The previous trainer entered the room from a door that led to the front of the aircraft. "When we land, you will be taken to the Launch Room. The Launch Room is where you will make your final preparations for the Games. You will meet your stylists for dressing and then be launched into the arena. Each tribute is assigned their own Launch Room."

Upon disembarking the ship, the peacekeepers led me to a room where I saw Sloane. I walked over to her and hugged her, showing no emotion on my face. After about thirty seconds, we pulled away from each other.

"Here," she said while handing me my clothing. I put on the outfit: tawny trousers, a dark green shirt, and a thin-hooded black jacket that fell down to my thighs.

"Your jacket is designed to deflect heat. I'm guessing the nights will be cold, but the days will be scorching in the arena," Sloane explained. I put on my boots, which were worn over black skin-tight socks. The boots were made of soft, black leather and had a narrow, flexible rubber sole with treads, perfect for running. The shoes are similar to ones back home that we used in training.

I quickly slid my arms into the jacket and Sloane was there to zip it up for me, just as the countdown for me to enter the tube began.

"Thirty seconds," an audio announcement sounded in the room.

My attention shifted to the glass cylinder where I was about to enter. "I'm not allowed to bet, but if I could, I'd bet on you," she admitted, making me smile, hugging Sloane tightly.

"Twenty seconds," the audio voice announced.

As the countdown continued, I took a deep breath and walked towards the tube. "I'll see you soon," she said.

"Ten seconds," the audio continued.

The door of the cylinder tube shut behind me, and I turned around to look at Sloane, who gave me a nod of support. As the countdown reached the last few seconds, the tube floor beneath my feet began to levitate.

As I ascended, a blinding light engulfed my vision. I blinked a few times, and as I adjusted to the light, a forest came into view, which was the arena for the event.

Before the countdown of 60 seconds begins, I scan the arena and spot the shining silver horn-shaped Cornucopia standing in the center.

As I turn my head towards my fellow tributes, I notice Clove, fixated on the cornucopia and the rack of throwing knives. To my left is Finch, the red-headed tribute from District 5, who looks terrified.

The countdown starts, and I hear the loud audio announcing the time left.

"60, 59, 58..."

I shift my gaze back to the Cornucopia, observing the items scattered around it. Backpacks are strewn on the ground, weapons laid out on metal boxes, and supplies spread in and around the area. I notice spears neatly stacked on the racks nearby.

As I survey the choices, my eyes settle on a bow. There's no point going for the knives since Clove is likely to snatch them up.

"30, 29, 28..."

My heart racing, I scanned the area for Chris. I made a silent prayer that he would remain within my sight, during the bloodbath so I could do everything to protect him.

As the countdown from 10 to 1 started, I recited everything I needed to remember.

"10: Water is crucial."

"9: Kill or be killed."

"8: My brother Rowan."

"7: My family."

"6: Water is essential."

"5: Impress the audience to get sponsors."

"4: Protect Chris at any cost."

"3: Cato, keep him safe."

"2: Make sure Clove is not in harm's way."

"1: Get that damn bow and arrow, Iris."

The sound of a loud gong echoed throughout the arena, marking the beginning of the games.

The tributes launched towards the Cornucopia, and the chaos of the games began.