VII*

[Y/N] quickly wrote a message to Kokomi, uncaring of how sloppy the characters were. Standing, the ex-Shuumatsuban headed outside. She licked her lips and let out a silent whistle, eyes glancing around before catching sight of a small dog.

The dog bounded up to her, causing the woman to crouch and quickly put the scroll into the cylinder container. "Okay. You know what to do, [NK/N] (ninken's name). Hurry to Her Excellency, yeah?"

The dog yipped and sprinted off, bouncing as they did so. 'I can only hope that Heizou won't ask questions when I ask for information.'

"[Y/N]? Who was that dog?"

She jolted, spinning around to see Heizou leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. He had a small frown on his face, brows furrowed slightly.

"Ah. My ninken." She knew that lying wouldn't help. Heizou could easily dig into it. The detective made a grunt of acknowledgment, turning his gaze to the floor. He was still acting off. He wasn't acting as he usually did. He hadn't for a few days.

"You seem down, deer boy," the woman commented, strolling over to him. "What's up?"

When he didn't respond, she frowned and grabbed his face, forcing him to look at her. Her hands cupped his cheeks and she looked at him with concern. Something was obviously eating at the detective.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Clearly something. You don't need to tell me what's wrong, but at least don't hide when you're upset."

He grunted and pulled away, averting his gaze. [Y/N] felt shocked and narrowed her eyes, brows furrowing as she tried to come up with the reason for his distance.

"I'm not an idiot, you know," she hissed, clenching her fists. "If you don't want to fucking house a criminal, then say it."

"That's not-"

"It's not what? "Not like that"? Heizou, it's written all over your face. You may be a detective and good at reading faces, but you can barely hide your own emotions. So what the hell is wrong?"

The man fell silent, keeping his gaze to the ground. He exhaled quietly and shook his head before glancing at the woman who stood with crossed arms and narrowed eyes.

"Did you really call me that to Sara?" he asked softly, confusion marring his face.

"What? What do you mean?"

"Sara told me you called me your boyfriend, [Y/N]. So did you really?"

"It was either that or I break into the offices to find your's, Heizou."

He flinched slightly at her words before nodding and turning back to the front door. He quietly slipped inside the house, not uttering a word. The [h/c]-haired woman followed behind him after a few moments, swallowing thickly as an ache formed in her chest.

She spotted the magenta-haired man sitting on the couch, curled up under a blanket. Furrowing her brows, the woman sat down next to him, laying in the fetal position as she slid her legs under the blanket. Leaning against him, she closed her eyes, willing herself to fall asleep.

The room remained silent except for their synced breaths. The two were cuddled up to each other, simply giving support.

"Did you mean it?"

"Mean what?"

"Me being your boyfriend?"

"I don't know. Do you want me to?"

•••

Blinking, [Y/N] opened her mouth with a yawn, rubbing sleepily at her eyes. She shifted slightly, hearing a groan of discomfort from beneath her. She gazed at the male under her, taking in the messy hair that stuck up everywhere.