S01

Music for this chapter: Here Ever After - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Before chapter S00

Persephone's pov

"I'm almost there." My heels tap against the asphalt.

The words I always say no matter where I am. It's not like I'm not punctual. It's just the time in my life when I feel like I don't have control over anything. So fucking miserable.

"You sure? I called you about half an hour ago and you told me the same thing."

I know that she cares about me but in the past few weeks, it annoys me to the point where I just want to end the conversation right away. I see the way she's looking at me and she knows that I know. She's trying so hard for us both and I'm being ungrateful. I don't want to be that person who's too afraid to ask for help or tell anyone what's wrong. Lately, I'm not much of a social person but I guess it'll all pass. Everything must come to an end.

"Yes, don't worry." I answer as I make my way towards my car and unlock it. "I'll be there in a second, promise."

"Okay, love you Seph. See you soon." I hold my phone between my cheek and my shoulder.

"Love you too Stinky, see you." I click the little, red button and throw my phone and my bag in the backseat. "Lord have mercy."

I sight as the wind blows my hair. The short dress I'm wearing right now is fitting my curves perfectly. Light makeup makes me feel really pretty and confident. It's been a minute since I felt that way. I never knew how important it is to compliment yourself.

I'm taking my place and closing the door behind me. The engine roars and I pop gum into my mouth. The strawberry taste hits my tastebuds. I forgot to buy mint ones again. Thank God Riley lefts her stuff everywhere. I don't have time to go to the shop now. I don't have much time for myself right now. No thanks to my dad.

Because him being a very respected man it was the easiest thing ever. Getting me a seasonal job at the hospital to get to see and try everything that I need to know after I finish my studies. I don't feel quite right with the fact that I get every single thing easier than people I know. It's like I'll never get a chance to prove that I'm good enough, just because he has contacts and can make it easier for me. It might sound cruel but I'm not a bad daughter. All my life I'm used to do whatever they want me to do, just because I don't have any siblings. I know that they don't mean it in any harmful way, it was just never something I dreamed of.

The ride is quiet, the city is quiet. It feels very odd. Normally the city center at this time is full of people. But today isn't like any other day. Today is the first day of the summer season, which means parties all over bars, clubs, homes, and many other places. All party animals get a chance tonight to crawl to wherever they wish. Students have time off, including me. Lucky, little me.

Everything's opening tonight, which means that it must be spectacular and it must encourage customers to visit the place, they are at, another time. There's not a single club such as Underworld. I smile to myself and feel the excitement rush in my body. I can feel Riley being stressed out as well. It's a pretty big day for her.

It's not a typical work day. It never really is, because I never treated work at Underworld as a job. Of course, it brings me money but it's the part that I care the least about. It's the part of the day I'm most excited about, always something I look forward to. It's almost like everything I ever wanted but instead of a person, like most people would say, it's a place.

It's also something my parents don't know about. They'd probably kill me if they'll ever find out about me working at, what they'd describe as, a dirty place that's full of men and girls acting like prostitutes, asking for something bad to happen, all because they wear revealing clothes. They'd also never understand what I see in this place because all they ever care about is money and popularity.