Chapter Seven

~Maddox's POV~

                The donut race ended in a crippling defeat. Though there was a point in the race I thought we had a chance with Nami's exceptional navigation and weather perception skills, but as I had suspected Foxy and his crew used underhanded methods to steal the victory.

                Foxy chose Chopper to join the Foxy Pirates after the defeat. With Chopper gone, I was replacing him in the second event which made me nervous, but I had to win so that we could get Chopper back. The Groggy Ring was the second event, a weapon free ball game. Sanji tried to convince the Foxy Pirates to let them continue on with just two players for the round.

                Rejection wormed through me. They were worried I'd let them down. I knew I shouldn't let it bother me, but it still hurt that they didn't have faith in me. They didn't think I could handle it.

                After Sanji's request was denied, Zoro, Sanji and I made our way to the Groggy Ring for the second event. As we stepped into the field Sanji was handed a strange hat with a big round white and red striped ball atop it. Did that mean one of us would be the ball?

                Sanji and Zoro began bickering over who would be the ball and began a very violent game of rock paper scissors. Luffy, Usopp and Nami were screaming from the sidelines for the bickering duo to get their act together. Nervously I tugged at my copper gloves readjusting them out of habit. It seemed the others were solely counting on Sanji and Zoro to win this.

                I'd just joined them, none of them knew what to expect from me. Sure I didn't look strong but I worked with steel every day, I was much stronger than I appeared. Hesitantly I crossed the field to where the bickering duo stood and stooped down to pick up the fallen hat.

                "I'll do it." I offered with a forced smile.

                "No." Zoro and Sanji snapped in unison.

                Reluctantly Sanji took the hat and placed it atop his head. I sighed and turned my attention to our opponents as the Foxy Pirates made a big show of revealing them. My heart sunk into the pit of my stomach as I spotted the three monsters approaching us. They were all huge, one the size of a gorilla the other easy doubling him and the third was a giant fishman not as tall as a human giant but no laughing matter. He was easily taller than any building that had been in my small town. The giant fishman had the ball hat atop his head and I began to feel a sense of dread.

                We had to get the ball into the buoy on the opponents side, how were we supposed to knock that giant into the goal? My nerves were shot as the game was about to begin.

                "Maddie-chan I want you to stay at our goal at all times." Sanji said calmly as he lit a cigarette.

                "I can help you guys score." I protested.

                "I don't want you getting hurt." Sanji noted with a commanding finality to his voice.

                I bit my lip and readjusted my gloves once more. He was just concerned for me, I knew I shouldn't let it bother me, but my blood was beginning to boil. It took a lot to get my temper going, I'd put up with endless ridicule and bullying in town, I'd only snapped once, luckily it wasn't in town. My father used to tease me and say I had my mom's temper. I'd taken it as a compliment until I learned what he'd meant by it. My mother had been very docile and soft spoken, but when she became truly angered, it was like she was a completely different person.