10

She closed her eyes and breathed in through her nose, the crisp night air felt good, seemingly cooling her from the inside. She was kneeling on the ground, one hand extended in front of her, her fingers domed, feeling for movement. Slowly she let the breath she was holding exit through her lips, listening...waiting for the telltale sign of the direction he would be coming from. Her senses told her she was exposed, but she steeled herself to hold her position just a few moments longer. She wanted him to get cocky and come to her. Then it was there, a slight tremor she could feel through her fingertips. He would approach her from her left, he thought it was her weak side. She would have to prove him wrong, again. La'llia opened her eyes, allowing them once again to adjust to the night's darkness. If she wanted light, she could provide that, but she wished to remain in stealth as well. He would soon learn never to underestimate her again. As he approached she felt the earth move toward her, she anticipated this, pushing backward with her right hand, she swept to her left. Her leg swept his feet and she heard him hit the ground, all of his breath rushed out of his lungs. Now, she thought. With a wave of her hand she encased him within two mounds of earth, firmly holding him in place, not allowing him to stand.

She moved her body to hover over him then, forming a small flame within her right hand. "No!" He shouted. The earth she had moved to keep him in place was quickly gone, suddenly propelling towards her. She stiffened her body to any blows that may land, but quickly skirted to her right. Her attacker was now on her, fists were flying towards her face as she dodged. She quickly realized that she would have to get the upper hand again or he would have her. Again the earth moved beneath her feet, causing her to stumble. "Is that all you got? Cheap tricks? Come on!" She taunted. His gaze narrowed and he paused for a moment, but it was all she needed to shift the attack in his direction. Suddenly she was the aggressor. She pushed him backwards, landing blow after blow. If I had my blades, you would be dead or dying at my hands, she thought. Using some of the technique she had learned over the years, she pressed him back, then she remembered something Sam had told her. "It is everywhere." She smirked. She used his own trick against him, tilting the ground causing him to become unbalanced. He hit the ground again, with less force this time, and rolled away from her. Before he could scramble to his feet, he flicked his wrists and she tumbled herself.

Dammit. Rookie mistake. He was above her then, his left arm pressing across her throat. "Submit." He may have her down, but she could still fight back, this time with something more familiar to her. She cursed under her breath. Her body began to build its heat from within, fueled by her anger that she had let him gain the upper hand. Before she could create another flame within her hand he pressed against her neck as a warning and narrowed his eyes.

"No! No fire...earth only. Those were the rules La'llia." Suddenly he stood, releasing her and she let the fire die within her as she stood.

She absently brushed the dirt from her jeans. "I screwed up."

"Yes, you made some mistakes. Like for one, if you're dealing with an Earth Eternal, don't try to trap them with their own skill. You're just giving them ammunition."

She scoffed. "I would have used my fire on you before you had a chance."

"True, but we are here to help develop your Earth skills La'llia. I don't need a reminder of how skilled you are with Fire."

"I need to be able to use both abilities Sam, sometimes at the same time. You are just trying to level the playing field, but it's not really level since you are a Prime in Earth, which I will never be. My Prime is Fire. Trying to extinguish it doesn't...feel...right."

He seemed to be considering her statement, and then said. "Okay, we will make some adjustments to your training. I can't have you burning be left and right though. Maybe a little more direction only, a hands off approach until you are more comfortable with your new skills." She nodded her head in acceptance. "Can you provide us some light?"