Chapter 23

Fire. It burnt everything in its path. The ashy smoke making a hazy layer in the dark sky. It lit up the night sky, leaving blackened ruins. The screams were drowned out by the sirens in the distance getting closer. The acidic scent burned into my nostrils as if intoxicating me the same way a cigarette would do. But all I could focus on was the way the compound lit up in shambles, eliminating all those memories of violence and loyalty.

It's as if the past was destroyed before my very eyes. The memories floating away in the air with the charcoal smog, like they were nothing. Maybe it was nothing after all. Lives were short lived, but there would be many more to come. You see, we are nothing but mere specs on this corrupt planet.

All of those worries and all of those days spent on how to fix my troubles melted away into the fiery pit. All of that fighting and ranking burnt alive like it didn't mean anything. None of it did. Because it was over. This was the end.

***

A few hours earlier

"Thanks for that out there," I sighed at him in gratitude before taking my hand out of his. We had just arrived back home to his apartment. Could I even call this home anymore? I created one of the greatest betrayals this gang has ever seen, but I'm still alive. Thanks to Mason.

"Of course, but you owe me an explanation," Mason answered back while guiding me to the living room. I was always envious of his home because it was quite larger than my own. But I guess that's what happens when you're second-in-command. The lavish couches of real leather and golden trimmings proved his wealth, but you could still tell it was his by the couple of punches in the wall.

I had told him to get the wall replaced after a few punches from hearing that Phoenix was flirting with me, but he says it gives his home character much like himself. I dropped the argument after that because I always trusted his word.

"I don't even know what happened, to be honest," I gave him a half-assed answer because I didn't want to lose this bond either from the truth. I've learned to be more careful with my words based on the events of the past couple of days.

"Bullshit, I know damn well that you don't take bullets for anyone." Shit, he always knew when I was bluffing.

"He didn't deserve what was happening to him," I attempted to protect Jaden.

"Of course, he does! He was the enemy!" Mason crossed his arms over his chest to make himself look buff on the couch.

"He tried to save me on the mission! I was going to die!" His eyes went glossy for a moment before hardening again to his usual facial expression.

"They wouldn't have killed you, Violet. Everyone knows you make a great asset to any team. I taught you after all."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Oh, give me a break, I just got back from a long mission and now have to save your ass from this mess like usual."

"I just got back from a long mission where I was fucking shot! Have some sympathy and lower that ego of yours!"

"Chill, just calm down. Why do you have to be so hot-heated?"

"Ex-fucking-cuse me?! I'm trying to welcome you back home, but all I get is feedback on how to be better!"

"Because I'm your mentor! Don't you want to be as good as me?"

"I'm not so sure anymore," I eyed him up and down with disgust. "I want to have remorse when killing people."

"Why? It just slows you down." He clearly wasn't affected by my insult.

"How can you say that?! You're heartless!"

"Then why did I save your ass?"

"Because...because you felt bad, I don't fucking know."

"Exactly. You have to learn to control your emotions if you want to be at the top."

"Funny, is that a feminist joke? How I'm too sensitive for this life!?"

"Let's just say that if I was in that fight, I wouldn't have taken a bullet for the enemy team."

"You're not understanding my point here! I-"

"I understand crystal clear. You got that? I'm just curious as to how much he flirted with you for him to get inside your head. You clearly liked him enough to take a bullet for him!"

"He didn't get inside my head! I'm better than that!"

"Well, he clearly must have kissed you so intensely that you forgot which team you were on." I stayed quiet. Was he right? Did I lose all sense of rationality after he kissed me? Oh my God, did he do that on purpose?!

"Fucking hell!" A punch to the left of him with a crash broke me out of my thoughts. "You kissed him?!" His fist soon turned bloody, which spewed all over the living room wall. I've never seen him this mad before, with his chest rising up and down harshly. It reminded me of my father before he left me, instantly bringing tears to my eyes.