Prologue

Cookie: The first page was short but it's just the prologue. :) Thanks for reading!

VOTE

FAN

etc. Comments would be nice!

---------------------------------

I came across him in the pouring rain.

      I was running home, hoping that I wouldn't get caught up in the coming storm when I spotted a lone figure. He stood in the middle of the park, eyes closed, face heavenward. He was soaked to the bone, with his white shirt disrrayed and partially unbottoned.

      I should have kept running, should have ignored him.

      But I couldn't.

      I stood frozen, eyes transfixed on him, on the painfully beautiful scene he made. There was something sad about it, about the way he just stood there facing the storm. Or was he even aware of it? Wasn't he cold? Couldn't he feel the heavy beating of the rain?

      Slowly, as if in a trance I found myself slowly moving towards him. Towards the boy who looked like he was ready to be swept away. Towards the boy who looked like he was hurting inside.

      I stopped a couple of steps away from him, waiting...watching. I ignored the rain pounding on my umbrella, ignored the forceful wind and thunderous gray clouds. Instead I clutched on to my umbrella and focused on him.

     I watched the way his white, now see through shirt clung to his body. Watched the endless beads of rain trail from his dark soakened hair to his exposed milked creamed throat and collarbone. I watched and waited.

      Watched and waited...

      Finally, after what seemed like forever he lowered his head from the sky and opened his eyes. Slowly he turned his head to me, eyes connecting with mine. I felt an instant thrill go through me, an instant connection that could not be described by mear words.

      Could he feel it too?

      His eyes, eyes that looked to be the gray color of the raging clouds above us seemed to see right through me. It was as if he couldn't see me then finally he could. Then I saw it in his eyes...awareness, recognition...and defensive mistrust. They were the eyes of a caged wild animal ready to attack the moment it was set free.

      That's when I questioned myself. What was I doing, walking up to him like this? This wasn't like me. I am not the type to go up to strangers. I was the type that avoided people and people avoided. They sensed the wrongness in me.

      Silently, I held out my umbrella to him. I wanted him to take it. For some reason, though he was just a stranger...I wanted to shelter him from the rain. When he didn't take it I grabbed his hand and forced his fingers to clutch the umbrella handle.

      Finally, I looked at him one last time before running through the rain. I ran all the way home without stopping to look back. My house was only a few blocks away from the park but by the time I got there I was already drenched.

      "Oh my goodness!" My mother cried when she saw me enter our home. "Kai, why are you all wet? What happend to your umbrella?"

      I closed the door behind me and leaned my back against it.

      "I left it with a boy," I said softly, " a boy who needed shelter from the rain."

      And his pain.