Chapter 5 - On The Right Track

While Claire went home and rested a bit, Leon did the opposite.

For some reason he couldn't get his mind off the case. He wanted to know the truth so he turned to the best person he could get to.

"Ugh, Leon? It's the middle of the night... Is this a secret mission I don't know about?" a female voice spoke up from the phone in a very tired tone.

"Sorry, Hunnigan. Some things just cannot wait." he said and started typing something on his computer. "Do you have files on Don Davis?"

Hunnigan stayed quiet for bit, she was probably thinking.

"Don Davis? The police chief here in Washington DC?"

"Well, that 'police chief here in Washington DC' is dead." Leon got to the point. "Strangled to death, a needle mark on his arm. Everything you don't want a person to go through."

"Wait, hold on. Slow down." Hunnigan tried to catch up. "How do you know this?"

"I saw it with my own eyes."

"Okay... Uhh... And why do you need his file?" she got curious.

"Because I was with him before I saw him die." Leon sighed. "There's an impostor."

"Dang it. Wonderful. Let me check." she said as some movements were audible.

Leon stared at his monitor's screen blankly while he was thinking. Don said a few interesting things in the restaurant. Was he really a member of the U.S.S. or was that a lie?

"Okay. Found it. Let me send it to you." Hunnigan finally spoke up.

"Alright. Thanks." he turned to his email and waited a bit.

The email has arrived and Leon opened the attachment.

"So, what are we looking for?" she joined him in the detective work.

"Anything related to Raccoon City. He said he was a member of the Umbrella Security Service. I need to know if that's true."

He started reading all the informations about Don. Everything seemed to be normal until Hunnigan yelled up.

"Found something!"

Leon immediately turned to his phone.

"What is it?" he asked impatiently.

"He was a scientist working for the Umbrella. He was a great friend of William Birkin but later on he betrayed him as well as the company. He ran away and hid in the crowd." she explained.

"William Birkin?" he frowned. "He died that night after injecting the G-virus into himself. So whatever happened between them, it was before that. Which means... Don was not there when the virus broke out."

Leon started repeating everything Don said in his head.

"How does he know about my meeting with Claire? How does he know about Ada?" he held his head as he thought.

"Hmm... Perhaps someone told him." Hunnigan thought. "But then again, you told me that there's an impostor."

"The impostor is a genius." Leon sighed. "It was all just an act."

Leon looked back up at the file.

"He planned it all. He made sure to act suspicious so we'll meet him again. He wants something..."

"He wants you to think that he did the killing... on purpose? That's new." Hunnigan commented.

"He indeed did the killing and took his place." he analyzed the file again. "All we need to know is his motive and his victims."