16

"I'm tellin' ya Matt, today was insane," Douglas said over the call. "We hadn't even gotten to lunch before all of the sudden the news was blowing up. At first a bunch of people, including the teachers are all like 'just relax, we don't know a whole lot, so for now just go about your normal routine' - but then an hour later the call to enter quarantine came. A bunch of people just went full doomer, freaking out... gosh dude, like this is freaking scary."

"I know," I said, "it's just... so surreal after what's happened to me... knowing that it's public knowledge out there in the world... that this is happening to people."

"Oh dude, like I actually saw some people that I could tell had it. There were a not-insignificant number of people with their hoodies pulled on tight, avoiding people."

"Dang."

"You getting any inside information from there?"

"No," I said, "at least I don't think so. From what I've checked of the news, you guys know pretty much everything. Unfortunately."

"Does it... bring any comfort knowing why it's happening?"

I adjusted my position on my bed. I had my tablet sitting next to me while I continued playing Stardew Valley. Jackie was taking a break and reading a book instead.

"I dunno. If there's anything I can say has been most disturbing about this, it's been the slow transition from a waking nightmare to comprehensible reality... if that makes any sense."

"Yeah, I think I get what you mean."

"Like... it just felt like it wasn't real at first. I could pretend that it wasn't happening. But now... like I've had a tail for a whole week nearly. The world now knows about all of this. I can't really deny it anymore."

Douglas was quiet for a moment. "Does it hurt really bad?"

"No," I said, "not for me since I got here. Jackie had a bit of a hard time though. I think that the tail specifically causes a lot of pain."

"I know this is a sore spot," Douglas asked cautiously, "but... how much has changed now? Can you send me a picture?"

"I would rather not."

"C'mon dude, I promise it's not a big deal."

"You'll see me when they let me go."

".... and when will that be?"

I shrugged, then realized it made no sense because he couldn't see me. "I don't know."

"Do they... do they know how bad it's going to be?"

I let out a long, slow sigh. "From what they've told us, they think the changes will be somewhat 'superficial'. "

"And that means..."

"We're going to look different, but hopefully not any changes too drastic."

"Dude you have a tail. How is that not drastic?"

"Well they mean stuff even worse - like they were afraid at first that I'd be walking on all fours and be unable to talk."

"The thought of that is just... freaky."

"Yeah... and it'll be soooo much better just looking like a Disney character instead."

"Hey," Douglas said, "they're right. It could've been worse."

"I suppose so. I just wish that the Disney villains of this story actually had the slightest compassion for what was happening."

"I heard that Generation was spending a ton of money on trying to solve the problem."

"Uh uh," I said, "that's a lie. From my place in here, Generation is trying to abandon us and all their employees. Any work that's being done is motivated solely by the people that actually care."

"Have they had any luck in finding a cure?"

"No," I said. "They're doing all they can, but from what I understand, they're all fighting for time to calculate stuff on the company's quantum supercomputer - especially since rumors are going around that the company is going to shut the computer down in the next week."

"That sure sounds like they really care about you."

"Yeah, they're the paragon of kindness. Bottom line is, sounds like I'm stuck like this... for a long time."

There was a long, pained pause. "... How long do you think?"

"I don't know dude. Maybe when I'm thirty or something they'll have figured something out?"

"What? Seriously?"

"Yeah, like I said, the company is shutting down their supercomputer, and without that, they're going to lose all their progress, and it'll take years to make up lost time."

"But there's a lot of other places that worked on the cancer treatment right?"

"Yeah I guess."

"Have you considered Matt, that maybe you're being a bit pessimistic?"

I sighed. "Maybe. I'm just... very tired, very bored... and I've been looking too much at how people are reacting online."

"That's probably not a very good idea."

"I know."

"Look... I don't know about other people, but even if I have a hard time getting my head around it at first, you and Jackie - and anyone else we know who changes for that matter, you're all still my friends. It will take time to adjust, but I care about you all. None of this was your fault, and you deserve better than those people trashing you all online."

"I guess."

"And I know that's not just me. I've talked with other people at school, Wendy, Ted, my girlfriend, they all care about you too."

"Aughh, gosh," I ran my hand through my hair. "They all know..."

"Yes," Douglas said. "They do. People were talking about that whole thing that happened in gym."

"Gosh I'm never going to be able to live this down."

Douglas laughed. "For better or for worse, I think most people have forgotten about it in the wake of everything that's been happening. You were simply the first sign they saw of what was about to go down."

I slouched, resting my head against my pillow. "It's so... just... I can't believe that this is happening all over the world. That all these people our age... it's going to change everything."

"I'm just certain that as soon as they find out how to control it, there are going to be people hijacking the virus to make catgirls and stuff."

"Ugh. Why would people willingly want to change into this?"

"You serious dude?" Douglas laughed. "It's the 2050s, people are into some real crazy stuff. Even fifty years ago there were people who were totally into that."