32

I slept fitfully that night. Being able to talk to Jackie, and just play some games to relax had helped a lot. In a way though, it made it even harder to go back home. I knew what waited for me when I got back; parents that didn't want to look at me - a sister who felt that I had ruined her life. There was even the unsettling prospect that Mom and Dad's marriage was on shaky ground.

When I got home, there was thankfully no one around. Trying to sleep was difficult. I'd been getting used to orienting my tail right as not to pinch it, as well as dealing with the extra warmth from fur. No, what I missed as I tried to sleep wasn't what sleeping had once been like. I missed Jackie, and being able to cuddle with her.

I was sure that most guys my age wanted a girl in their bed for a... very different reason, but I wanted the comfort of knowing she was there with me. I was down bad for her, and I knew it. Thankfully she didn't seem to object much to me being strongly attached.

She seemed to finally be starting to internalize that I wasn't just pitying her or anything like that. Despite the doubting thoughts she had, I really did love her. And I felt she loved me back. In that moment, she was all I felt I had. I didn't know how to salvage my family situation in the slightest. They refused to understand me. But Jackie did.

Being with her felt so freeing. With her I wagged my tail and panted all I wanted. She'd grown more and more open too. She was like a completely different person in her house compared to school. She smiled widely, talked cheerfully and occasionally kissed me on the cheek.

But then there was my family. They used to be my refuge. Then in just the span of a month it felt like it was hanging in the balance. Whatever happened with my family, I knew that if it stayed this way, I couldn't stick around. I needed to get up to college with Jackie as soon as I could.

So many challenges were ahead. I would need to figure out college, and what I wanted to study. I'd have to adjust to being a canis person in a much larger place.

Eventually my mind just became exhausted from the stress, and I finally got to sleep.

The next morning, I was intent on just getting ready for school as quickly as possible, and then leaving home before I had to talk to anyone. Today we were going to have the first meeting of our club, and the last thing that I wanted was for my mood to be ruined before I even walked out the door. I needed to be confident and cheerful, able to help the other canis students the best I could.

After showering and drying off my fur, even giving it a good brush, I went downstairs to have breakfast. Ashley sat at the table, silently eating some yogurt. She looked as sullen as ever. Only a single light was on, and it cast an eerie shadows over everything.

I ignored her the best I could, and got some cereal. Shortly after I'd sat down at the table however, Dad walked into the room. I did not acknowledge him, just breathed slowly and steadily, and continued eating. He pulled up a chair, and sat there quietly for a moment. After a minute or so, he let out a sigh.

"We need to talk."

I didn't say anything. Ashley surprisingly spoke up, though very quietly.

"Where's mom?"

"She's at Grandma's house. She needed some time."

Neither Ashley or I said anything.

"Last night," Dad sighed again, "Mom and I... had some disagreements..."

"We heard it all," I said.

Dad looked at me in confusion. I pointed to my ears, perking them up.

He rested his face in his hand, and I could hear him curse under his breath.