Approaching the God

Grunn looked at the tiny creatures that were peering through the darkness of the forest. They were humans, weren't they? Kel had told him about them.

They seemed lost, letting out anguished warbles and calling out in squeaky intonations.

His magenta irises locked onto the human holding the flashlight. He had long gray hair, and he seemed to glance at every single thing that moved. Grunn didn't want to admit it, but the way he startled at nearly everything was extremely adorable.

As he studied the lost humans, his mind wandered, flowing through the past moments of the day.

He had been floating through the endless space of the universe when he had stumbled across the small blue and green planet.

Grunn was a galactic titan, a god of sorts. He was one of many free-roaming titans, keeping the infinite universe stable and controlled. Since he had been free of his duties, he'd decided to explore the planets of the universe that had remained unexplored by titankind.

Earth was one of those unexplored planets. Grunn still couldn't believe how small it was, only the size of his finger. But he had felt the presence of millions of tiny lives thrumming through his body, which had shocked him.

Curious, he'd condensed his form into the smallest that he could. To any other galactic titan, he would be not more than a speck of dust; perhaps smaller. Yet, he was still bigger than most life on the planet, towering over trees and being able to hold most inhabitants in his hands.

He was interrupted from his thoughts when he felt something hit his foot. He looked down, and saw that the human with the flashlight had bumped into it, and was now pointing it straight into his face, with a look of pure horror on his paled face. The human let out a terrified shriek and began to run away, but, much to to Grunn's amusement, he tripped on a tree root and fell face-first.

The other humans spotted Grunn's towering form and too began to panic. But they were lost, and running would only make them more so. Their anguished cries made Grunn's amusement slowly begin to fade into slight worry.

The gray-haired human appeared injured, his left leg dragging behind him, seemingly twisted. Grunn paused momentarily before gently scooping up the tiny human. His eyes widened in surprise. The human couldn't have been bigger than his thumb, now that he could see him better.

Shaking away his fascination, he ignored the human's howling cries of pain, and pinched his tiny leg in between his comparatively enormous fingers. He squinted in concentration, and let a fraction of stardust flow out of his fingers, and into the humans leg.

At first it seemed as though everything was worse. The human was screaming so loudly, and it seemed he would die, the way he was crying.

But his whimpers subsided, and although Grunn couldn't confirm it, he thought that he could see relief pooled in the tiny creature's eyes. He gently tapped the human on the head humorously, and he flinched at the touch.

The humans below him were silent, staring up at him, necks craned, as they waited the fate of their companion. Grunn knew they were expecting violent dismemberment, or simply being eaten. What they probably didn't expect, however, was for him to simply deposit the human onto the ground.

The gray-haired human squeaked in surprise, before looking back up at Grunn. The titan gave him a small grin - as humans called it - and made a dismissive motion. The humans took the hint, and quickly scampered away, soon disappearing from sight.

Grunn knew he probably shouldn't have interacted with humans, but he figured nothing too major would come out of their contact.

He looked around at the peaceful nighttime sky, and felt a sense of calm in him, nothing that he'd felt before.

Maybe he'd stay here for a while.

...

As Becker ran through the forest with his friends, away from the giant, he felt his forehead throb, as did his ankle. He could still feel the paralyzing fear he'd felt as the giant's hands pinned his injured leg down.

It was still shocking. Had the giant healed his leg? Why had it tapped his forehead?

He could still feel its touch. Strangely cold and empty, as though the air around him was cold, yet warm like the sun's rays.

Grunn had thought that the little bit of stardust he'd used would make nothing of a difference. No harm done.

But as Becker surveyed his leg, he was horrified to see it faintly glow.