l

May 3, 2015

7:29pm

As the engine of my black 2012 Jeep Wrangler roars to life, I take a moment to inhale the crisp night air, allowing it to fill my lungs and wash away the lingering disbelief. An encounter with August Alsina in a grocery store—it's almost too surreal. Who would have thought someone like me could cross paths with such an icon in the most mundane of places?Retrieving my keys from the depths of my MK purse, I unlock the car and secure my seatbelt. My thoughts are still reeling from the surprising exchange, a whirlwind of anticipation and confusion that leaves me grinning in the dimly lit vehicle. I connect my phone to the aux cord, and the rhythmic melody of Jhene Aiko's "Spotless Mind" fills the cabin as I ease out of the parking lot and navigate towards home.

Virginia's streets pass by in a blur as I reflect on the life I've built since leaving the familiarity of my North Carolina hometown for college. Although my family remains nestled within its comforting embrace, save for my sister Danielle, I make an effort to return every other weekend. The miles between us melt away as my thoughts are interrupted by the cheerful ringtone of my iPhone. A quick glance at the screen reveals the caller—my "Bestfrann👭💕" Michelle.

Michelle's boisterous greeting erupts through the speakers, her excitement infectious even before she speaks. "Why are you yelling?" I tease, unable to suppress a chuckle."Because I'm bored, and there's an emptiness in my bed that no one's filling tonight," Michelle laments dramatically. "I was thinking your gorgeous self could swing by, and I could pamper you with massages and whatever your heart desires." Her suggestive tone is accompanied by the unmistakable sound of a smirk.

Laughter bursts from my lips as I shake my head in amusement. "You're absolutely wild, you know that?" I retort, well-versed in Michelle's outlandish yet well-meaning propositions.

"I know," she admits, unapologetic and proud. "But seriously, please come over? I miss your face, and I'm dying to catch up." The elongated 'e' in 'please' betrays her desperation, and I can't help but feel a pang of affection for my persistent best friend."I was actually going to call you when I got home," I confess, knowing that Michelle is the perfect confidante for the news I'm eager to share. "I have something to tell you—and it's huge.""Ooooh, girl's night?" Michelle inquires, ever the social butterfly. "Should I call Jessica and make it a party?"

Jessica, a cherished friend we met on a wild night of clubbing, is a few years older than my 21 and Michelle's 23. With her warm personality and alluring appearance—long, ebony tresses cascading to her chest and captivating, raccoon-shaped eyes that seem to sparkle against her fair skin—she's become an irreplaceable part of our squad.

"Not this time," I reply, sensing that this particular conversation is best kept between Michelle and me. "I need my best friend's undivided attention for this one.""Alright, I'll see you in a few," Michelle concedes, her curiosity undoubtedly piqued. I perform a swift U-turn, steering my Jeep towards her house as I mentally prepare to divulge the jaw-dropping details of my chance encounter with the one and only August Alsina.