Chapter 6

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. It was 7am in the morning on a Monday, and the cuts on my face still weren't healed properly. Usually, with my superior genetics, it took two days latest to heal any cuts. I'm starting to think that the combination of both morphine and suboxones for the past thirteen years had fucked up my immune system.

I pursed my lips together, and opened the tap on the sink to wash my face. Then I grabbed my hairband and tied my hair in my usual bun. I paused, contemplating. Do I want to tie my hair today? I could hide the cuts on my face with the shadow of a messy hair. Of course, then my boss would say something about company representation in the staff meeting and ask me to dress tidier. Shit, I have that staff meeting today.

Quickly I made my way to exit the bathroom. I paused all of the sudden, turning my head back and gazed upon the sink cabinet. I kept thinking about last night; about my high tolerance of suboxones. Should I take morphine with me to work?

As I arrived on my office floor, I noticed everyone was already in the meeting room, and my big boss just starting to give an opening remark. Ace IT is a small company that outsource IT experts to their clients. It consisted of only thirty staffs including the ones on the field, having only one floor as the whole corporation. I don't deal with clients, I only deal with the big server in Ace IT, making sure that it's secure enough that no one can hack, reverse any malwares and fight against DDos attack. I was a small fish in a small pond. Just the way I wanted.

I hurriedly made my way towards the meeting room and as I entered, everyone's attention was on me, including the big boss, Julian Smith.

"Sorry I'm late." I said, making my way through the crowd and sat on the empty seat.

I can sense Spencer's eyes, and Kylie Tanaka's eyes on me as I sat down. They were surprised by my appearance; the cuts on my face. Hell, everyone was.

Julian didn't say anything, though I can sense a small worried on his face as he studied my figure. Then, without further ado, he continued on the meeting.

I felt something kicked my legs. It was Spencer, who was sitting the opposite of me. He motioned towards my face, silently addressing the cuts with a concern look on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him, obviously annoyed and shook my head, saying that it was nothing.

As the meeting was going on, I suddenly felt heat raging up from inside my body. Sweat started to form on my forehead, and I felt my head was spinning. I squinted my eyes tightly, trying to focus on what my boss was saying, but his voice was fading away. Fuck. I was having withdrawal in the meeting. I needed to get out.

Quickly I stood up, excused myself to the restroom and exited the meeting room. I hurried my steps towards the gents, and as I stepped inside, I couldn't hold it in any longer. I vomited just as I arrived at the sink. Ounces of liquid came pouring from my body. I panted, tired from the contraction. I opened the tap on the sink and cleaned my face, and my mouth. Shit. I'm fucking fucked now. I looked at my face in the mirror and saw my eyes red. I grimaced. I needed morphine.

Quickly I went to one of the cubicles, and locked the door. With my shaking hand, I reached deep into my pants pocket and pulled out a sachet of morphine powder. I sat on the floor, closed the toilet seat and scattered the powder on top. Then I took one of my credit cards and divided the powder into lines. I took an old receipt from my wallet and rolled it out to make it function like my snuff straw. And then, I snorted the powdered morphine.

I closed my eyes, laid my head back onto the cubicle wall to take the feeling in. As I was high as a kite, I heard the door opened and someone came in.

"Adrean?"