Chapter 11

I gayly made my way throughout the hall of the rehab facility. I was happy. I was thrilled. I was excited. For the first time in my life, I felt that the word positive, actually means something. I smiled widely, greeting some people in the hallway and made my way towards my room. I wanted to tell Harmony. I wanted to tell my wife that I am going home soon.

As I opened the door to my room, I noticed that Derek was on the bed, with his back facing me. I smiled widely, and wanted to share with him the good news. But as I was about to do that, I stopped. I grimaced. Derek wasn't looking too good. He was shivering from his withdrawal, sobbing and moaning with pain and sadness. I pursed my lips together, feeling a tad uncomfortable to feel happy. Then, I remembered something and closed back the door.

I continued my steps towards the hallway, eyes examining each and every corner of the facility. Fuck, where is that thing? I've sworn I've seen those things in a corner somewhere. I went to the lounge area, it wasn't there. I went to the visitor hall, it wasn't there. Then, I remembered something. The cafeteria. Of course. Hastily, I made my steps towards the cafeteria, and smiled with satisfaction as it came into view. The vending machine.

I walked towards it, and pulled out my wallet from my sweatpants. I put in a couple of dollars, and pushed the button. It made a clang sound as the chocolate bar dropped onto its bottom. I bent down, and picked the bar from the dispenser.

I then quickly made my way towards my room, and opened the door. Derek was still there, shivering, suffering from his withdrawal.

"Hey." I said, approaching him.

He turned his back facing me. "Hey."

"Here." I pulled out the Sneakers bar from my pockets.

Seeing the item in my hand, he let out a slight chuckle. He took the bar with his shivering hand. "Thanks."

"No problem." I smiled, made my way towards my bed, sitting and facing him. "You were right. It did get better. Shit at first, but it gets better."

"Told ya, didn't I?" he grinned, showing his tarred and crooked teeth.

I continued smiling. "I'm gonna miss you, Derek."

"Shit. They're letting you go?"

"Yeah. My doctor signed me on an early release."

"Damn. Good for you man! I'm happy for you!"

"Thanks. But I gotta follow their program for another six weeks. You know...for the relapse."

"Yeah, yeah." He nodded. "Good for you, man." He said, then started to sob.

I grimaced seeing him. I was once like that. Vulnerable, weak. But he gave me the strength when I needed it. And this time, it was my turn to give it back to him. I turned around, squatted on the floor and searched for something in my drawer. Once I felt something soft under my fingers, I pulled it out. It was Ramie's drawing. As much as I wanted to keep it, he needed it more than I did.

I stood up, went towards his bed and presented him with my daughter's drawing. His eyes looked at me in surprise, examining my face. Then, he shook his head.

"Nah, man. I couldn't take that away from you. That's your little girl's."

"And you gave me your little girl's chocolate bar when I was at my lowest. Take it as a positive reinforcement." I smiled; my face softened.

He bit his lower lip, and started to cry. He nodded, took it from my hand and stared at the drawing. "It's beautiful. She's real talented."

"I know." I smiled.