Chapter 10

Three weeks passed by in the rehab centre, and I was feeling much better. My withdrawal symptoms had gone, and I no longer depend on morphine like I usually did. I was the happiest today, because I get to see my family for the first time. I wore a wide smile on my face, in the visitor's room, waiting for my wife, my daughter and my son. God, I miss them so much it hurts.

I looked up from the glass door, and saw them coming in, with Harmony in her lovely floral dress and white cardigan; Ramie, in her beautiful light blue dress and ribbon belt; holding a box of present in her hands, and Hayden, in my wife's arms with his cute bunny outfit along with his toy panda. My eyes teared up as they came in approaching me.

"Daddy!" Ramie ran up to me soon as she saw me.

I squatted down on her heights and pulled out my arms to catch her. I scooped her up, and kissed her, as many times as I can, hugging in her tiny body. Then I made my steps towards my wife, with Ramie still in my arms and quickly kissed her lips. Her lushes lips that I missed so much. After that, I kissed my son that was on Harmony's arms, kissing him as many times as I can. He smiled at me, giggling with his cute giggle.

They were all here. My family. It was surreal.

"How are you feeling?" Harmony said, ushering me to sit down on one of the seats in the facility. Ramie was still in my arms; she settled on my lap. I didn't want to let her go.

"I'm great. I'm much better." I smiled, taking in my wife's beautiful feature.

"Daddy, look what I made for you." Ramie suddenly said, presenting me with a thin box of present in her arms.

"What is it baby?" I reached out with my free arm, taking the present from her hands.

She just giggled, wanted me to see the surprise. I smiled looking at her, and kissed her adorable cheeks. Then I opened up the box with my free hand and looked inside. It was a drawing of her and me, with words on top of it, 'Get Well Soon Daddy'. Tears started to filled in my eyes. I was touched by her artwork. Harmony saw my face and smiled.

I gave my daughter another kiss on her cheeks. "I love it. It's beautiful baby. Thank you."

She replied with giving me a hug with her small figure. I embraced her in my arms, taking in the love and encouragement that my daughter was giving me. This. This moment is why I suffered in this facility. And the suffering was worth it.

After the family visit, I was assigned for counselling with Dr Burke. Another few sessions of psychotherapy, and I was done. We were in the counsel room, and Dr Burke was with her usual clipboard and pen, and I was on the sofa, facing her.

"Hi Adrean." She smiled. "You look happy today."

"Yeah, I am." I said, acknowledging her.

"Must be. Seeing your family for the first time in three weeks."

"Yeah." I smiled widely. "Ramie gave me her drawing. It was beautiful. She's very talented. She's going to art school someday, and I'm gonna be so proud."

"I can see that." She grinned slightly. Then, she started to click on her pen. "And what about Hayden?"

"Hayden?"

"Yes, Hayden. Your son?"

"Oh." I replied, my mind went suddenly blank. "Umm...he's...two. He hasn't accomplished anything. He's a toddler."

Shit. Why did it sound like I had no interest in my son?

"Umm...I mean...as a toddler, of course he had accomplished so much. You know...ABCs, counting and all that."