Chapter One- Welcome to Omiš

'Girls, girls, get up!' my mum came into our room to two very sleepy teenagers. 'We're going to be late. On the first night too! Get changed and brush your hair! Now, girls.'

I got up and made sure Imogen was awake and getting ready too. I opened my suitcase, still wearing jeans because of the cold temperatures back in England. I picked out a random pair of denim shorts and a baggy shirt. I wasn't going to sit there, uncomfortable, wearing the only dress I'd bought.

I dragged a brush through my hair, which had unsurprisingly started to resemble a hedge now that I had to see people. I didn't have time or energy for properly doing my makeup, so I put on some pink tinting lip balm, nothing proper. I laced up my blue converses in a single knot and tried to tame my wild hair one more time.

If the apartment was too hot, then when I walked outside, I had entered the fiery pits of hell. Imogen, who had done a full makeup routine and was wearing the most elaborate dress I had ever seen, picked her phone up before leaving the apartment, sparking yet another argument with my mum before we left.

Nobody spoke on the walk, all of us looking at the beautiful town. The busy chatter that I couldn't understand gave the place a certain liveliness to it, the tower of an old castle lit up in a way, so the moon danced off it. It was truly breathtakingly beautiful.

We got lost in the old town down a side street before finding the office and being relieved when we saw we weren't the last ones there. We were welcomed by Karmen's colleague, Lori. There were three other families already there.

There was a family of two petite women, a family of three with both children having ginger hair and a family with two bored-looking teen boys. Another family came in through the door, a family of four with another teen girl and a boy who looked a lot older.

It was at least ten minutes before the last family we were waiting for turned up. It was another family of 4 with two girls, one with curly blond hair and the other with wavy brown hair. Lori gathered everyone up and began leading us to where we would be eating our "welcome dinner".

The walk there was awkward, with all the mums saying quick hellos, but nothing more, no real conversation. The restaurant was quite small, with just enough tables to seat everyone. Each table had a piece of paper with the family surname written on and the number of people.

My family, Payne, 3, was in the very back corner, and I just had to be put in the one seat facing the wall so I couldn't watch as the last family arrived, meeting us at the restaurant instead of at the holiday office. 'It's a family of four with two boys. Ooh, he's cuuuute.' Imogen told me after I asked her to tell me what was going on.

'Imogen, you have a boyfriend!' My mum looked at her, who was too busy looking at the "cute" guy to notice.

'Oh, I know,' Imogen smiled and peeked around the corner at the family who were now sitting down. 'He's still cute though.'

'Uh huh,' I stared down at the menu, scanning for something that wasn't wine. It took a few minutes of looking through before I reached the exceedingly small soft drinks section. I heard one girl a few tables back trying to persuade her parents to let her get a cocktail.

The drinks were very limited, cola, fresh lemonade and a suspiciously named drink that was supposedly the local orange soda, called Pipi. Imogen spent a few minutes giggling at that before we both decided on the lemonade.

The waitress went to ask the lady two tables behind her which wine she'd decided on. 'Excuse me madam, have you picked a drink yet?' she asked politely as the woman kept looking at the wide selection of wines.

'I don't know, which one would you drink?' The woman, sat with the older looking boy and the girl who'd asked for a cocktail, asked the waitress.

'I would drink all the wines.' The lady smiled as the other families laughed. 'But this one, this one especially.' The waitress and the woman both nodded and she went to get our drinks.