41 - Genevieve

I closed the garage door, Tessa bounding ahead of me, anxious to get inside. Much like me, she was anxious to get some water, too. I heard muffled laughter fill the upstairs and assumed the three boys were together due to the immense magnitude of the noise. It became clearer as I walked up, knocking on the door.

"Wait- no- I said I had it!" I heard Sam whine. Harry opened the door a second later, Sam on the floor with his foot extended. I didn't know what to make of the situation. I never did when it was them.

"Hey," Harry greeted with a smile. I returned it and leaned forward, giving him a kiss on the cheek. He wrapped his arm around my side and I instantly felt self-conscious about how sweaty and gross I was.

"How was your run?" he asked with anticipating eyes. The second I saw them I wanted to look away. They didn't deserve my guilt.

"Good," I partially lied. I had spent a lot of time on the run reflecting on what happened earlier, which just made me feel horrible about making Harry feel horrible. "Could barely keep up with Tessa."

"Oh, you're out of shape because you haven't been here in two months!" Tom said with a laugh. Sam nodded, joining in.

"Yeah, really. You usually give her a run for her money."

I rolled my eyes, scoffing.

"Ha ha."

"No, seriously, mate, I think that joke was better than any Paddy has ever told," Harry admitted quietly with a laugh. Everyone but me followed suit.

"Stop, you guys. He's gonna hear you," I whispered, crossing my arms and leaning against the doorframe.

"Trust me, if he had ears, he'd know by now," Tom sided. I rolled my eyes, turning back to face Harry.

"I think I'm going to go shower. Want to watch a movie later?" I asked, hopefulness strewn within my vocal cords. I saw a flash of disappointment enter Harry's eyes and leave the second it arrived.

"Yeah, yeah, that sounds great."

I looked at his brothers, seeing them look everywhere except my face.

"Think about what you want to watch and we'll watch that, okay?" I told him, trying to be as nice as humanly possible. I felt so bad for earlier and I knew the only way to make it up to him was to give him an explanation, but I didn't even know how to explain it to myself yet. I thought that maybe when I figured that out I could tell him. I just didn't know when that would be. Or how long he'd be willing to wait.

"Alright, I'll see you in a bit. Don't have too much fun without me," I warned the three, pointing at my eyes then at their faces. We all shared a mutual laugh. I pulled Harry towards me softly and gave him a quick kiss, smiling as we parted.

"Love you."

Two words I don't think I've ever meant as totally and utterly genuine as I had right then.

"Love you too."

"Don't say 'too'. It sounds like you're agreeing with me," I told him quietly with a smile. He scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"I love you."

"That's better," I said with a happy sigh, turning on my heel and going in the opposite direction down the hall. I shut the guest room door before I could hear the boys interpret the entire interaction. I wouldn't put it past Harry to tell them about our earlier exploits. I was sure they already knew based on how little eye contact they were giving me. I wondered if they knew about the others things too. Their awkward facial expressions said it all. I stepped into the shower, wishing that all my worries would just slide off me.