Chapter I: Little Blue Book

• Dedicated to Laurel Jose

            It all started when I was twelve. I was at the attic, browsing through the old books my mom had kept for years. There was a book that really caught my attention; a little blue book. It was written in a different language. I was to get the book when I heard my mom shout, “Aubrey, don’t touch that little blue book at the shelves.” I found it pretty weird for mom to warn me that way. She always lets me do what I want, but with a book? I mean, what’s the big deal with that book? I did not mind what my mom said. I took the book and read it. “Fi angen popeth sy’n digwydd yn y llyfrI ddarllen digwydd yn fy mywyd go iawn.” what kind of language is that? Is this the reason why my mom told me not to touch this book? Is it because I can’t and I won’t understand the words, or there’s something else?

            “Did you touch that little blue book on the shelves?” my mom worriedly asked me as I went down attic. “Why? What’s wrong with that book?” I asked. “Maybe it’s time for you to know. You are old enough to understand.” then she continued, “It was my great grandmother’s book. It contains all her wishes in life. Your grandmother told me that it was cursed so she wants nobody to touch that book for she wants nobody to suffer in the end. She read a part of that book and what happened is that all the people she hated die. Your grandmother said that every line in that book is under a spell. Each line you read becomes your wish and instantly comes to life. There is nothing we can do to contradict its power.” I found myself speechless after hearing all the words that had left my mom’s mouth. What kind of wish did I read from that book? Will I really suffer in the end?