Chapter II: The Curse's Beginning

• Dedicated to Laurel Jose

            I was thirteen when I had my first crush. I know it’s weird to have your VERY first crush at thirteen, but what can I do? No one caught my eye and heart when I was younger. No one had made me fall in love to them.  It was my first day in school as a grade eight student. Nothing made me excited about it for I had known almost all of my classmates when I was in grade seven. Our first subject had passed by just by introducing ourselves in front. I was pretty thankful that Ms. Austin, our first subject teacher was not teaching English, but Foreign Language. She was never good at English. I had learned not a single thing from her when she taught English when I was in grade seven. The bell rang which signals the end of our first subject. Ms. Austin went out of the room. A boy, or should I say a man, entered the room. He has a raven black hair, a medium built body, dark brown eyes, an average height and a skin tone of a Moreno. He was wearing a white polo with pink stripes, black slacks, and black shoes with thin green and red stripes at the side. “Good morning!” he calmly said as he placed his things on the desk. By the way he pronounced those words; you’ll think he had worked as a call center agent before. “I am James Slater M. McCartney. I will be your English teacher for this school year. You can all call me Sir James.” he gave us a smile as he ended his sentence. I really thought he was gay because of the way his hips sway when he walks. But despite of that fact, I knew he had already caught my heart. His period with us had already ended but I still kept on thinking about him. Time went by with him running on my mind. He is not that handsome not that tall. All I know was that loving him is beyond my control.

            It was our second day in school. I kept on glancing at my watch waiting for the bell to ring which makes the first period end.  It was again our English time; a time which makes my soul alive. I was absent-mindedly staring at him. He caught me and smiled. It made my heart beat faster. One of my classmates asked him if he has a girlfriend. “Yes.” that’s all that I heard from him; one word that broke my heart instantly. He caught me again staring at him but this time, with a sad look at my face. He gave me once again his sweet smile which mended this broken heart of mine at once. All of my emotions turned to happiness with just a glimpse of his sweet smile.

            It was already weekend. Sir James gave us a story to read and wants us to submit a report about it on Monday. It was all about a family who lost their beloved dog Hachiko. After I finished reading the story, I went out and took a stroll with Rich, our pet Dachshund. He really serves as my best friend in our house. We went to the park to clear my mind about the anxieties of life. Then, my mind made me think of him again. I wonder if he has a Facebook account.  After a long stroll, we decided to go home. I unleashed Rich and went up to my room. I grabbed my laptop, opened my account and searched for his name, “J-A-M-E-S-S-L-A-T-E-R-M-C-C-A-R-T-N-E-Y” I typed and clicked the search button, hoping for his name to pop out. “James Slater McCartney/ Male/ Born on February 06, 1990/ Lives at House, Zipper, California U.S.A.” I felt like I hit the million dollar jackpot when I saw his account. I added him as a friend wishing he’ll accept my request. I did my homework/report for English and went to sleep. When I woke up, Rich was nowhere to be found. I searched the whole house, but he was not there. I also asked everyone in the house but all of them did not see him. I immediately made posters with a picture of him and my contact number. I was really hoping for him to be returned to us soon. I gave nearby people posters and asked them if they saw him but the answers that I got were all no. I was on my way home after a day-long search for Rich when I remembered the lines that I had read from the cursed book of my great grandmother. “Fi angen popeth sy’n digwydd yn y llyfr I ddarllen digwydd yn fy mywyd go iawn.” what do those words mean? The family’s dog in the story got lost, after I read the story, our dog got lost too. Was it a coincidence or the consequence from the lines that I had read from the cursed book? What if those words mean “scenarios in the stories you read will happen to your life”, it is still too soon to find out. I just wish my hunch is wrong. I wish I was just being paranoid.