Chapter XV: Love Confession

It was already Saturday.  I was looking for something to wear when my phone vibrated. “1 message received.” flashed on my phone’s screen. I opened it, “Are you ready? I’ll be picking you up in thirty minutes.” The SMS was from Sir James. What? I thought were just gonna meet at some place. “Quite =)” I replied to him. “Okay <3” he replied back. I felt my heart stop beating for a while when I saw the heart at the end of his text message. I just shrugged off what I saw to make myself comfortable when I’m already with him. I wore my red checkered polo, a white tank top as my inner, jeans and rubber shoes. I am not the kind of girl who wears skirts and dresses on dates, I’m uncomfortable with them. “Aubrey, someone’s outside looking for you. I think he’s your date.” my mom informed me. “Okay! I’ll be there in a second.” I said to her as I put a final touch on my hair. I put it up in a bun to make me more comfortable. I was walking downstairs when I saw Sir James. He was wearing a blue long sleeved polo, black slacks and black shoes. “Good evening! Uhm, for you.” he said to me and handed me a bouquet of flowers. “Thanks!’ I said to him. “Is it okay if I’ll leave it here?” I asked him shyly. I was afraid to offend him. “Yeah, not a problem at all.” he said to me. I put the flowers on the coffee table and went to my mom to bid her goodbye. After that, he extended his hand to me and said “Shall we?” I gave him my hand in response. I really can’t believe this is happening to me. He led me out of our house, to his car and opened the door for me. We were already on the road when I decided to ask him, “Where are we going?” “Just wait, we’re almost there.” he said to me as he kept his eyes focused on the road. He brought me to a cliff with grassy land. It was beautiful, peaceful, and romantic. “Do you like it?” he asked me as he helped me out of the car. “I love it!” I said to him happily. I saw a smile form on his face. We sat on the hood of his car and looked up at the starry sky. “I love you!” he gently whispered to my ear. I gave him a questioning look. Did he really mean it? He put his hand over mine. “I started to love you when we first met. I left because I like you, I love you, I want you, and I need you. I kept my feelings for you hidden because I know it is against the rules of the school. I was also afraid that you won’t love me back. Three years of forbearance is enough.” he said to me while looking deeply into my eyes. I can see the sincerity in his dark brown eyes. “I want to court you, that is if you’ll allow me. I am willing to wait for you. I had already waited for you for three years, and I am willing to wait for you longer.” he continued. “Sir James…” I started. “Just call me James, please.” he added. “James, I do also love you. It is okay with me if you’ll court me. Just… Don’t expect an answer from me too soon. I want to ready myself for this. I don’t want to hurt you.” I said to him. “Thank you Aubrey! Don’t worry I’ll keep that in mind.” he said to me as he embraced me tightly. We spent the entire night talking about our personal lives.  “This is the best night of my life.” I said to myself after he had escorted me home and left. 

            He courted me for months. He escorts me to school and back home every day, brings me to dates, and many more. It was our JS Prom, the last prom of our lives. On our entourage, all of us have no idea of who our partner will be, we’ll just meet on the stage. It was already my turn. I was at the middle of the stage looking for my partner but I found no one. Suddenly, James ascended the stage. Instead of giving me a white rose like all the other escorts had done, he knelt in front of me. “Will you please be my girlfriend Aubrey?” he asked then presented me a little box made out of glass with a silver ring with gold stripes and a small diamond in the middle. I didn’t notice him wearing a lapel, his voice echoed from the speakers which made the crowd hear him ask me. The crowd hushed in awe as they saw him present me the ring. “Yes! I would like to be your girlfriend.” I said to him and gave him a hug. The crowd clapped their hands as James put the ring on my finger.