Chapter 7 - Devastation

Vanessa's POV

I woke up as I heard Rick's screams. It was still dark outside.

When I looked at Rick, his eyes were closed while he was squirming, drenched in sweat. He was saying something in Italian; so I didn't understand what he was saying.

"Rick! Rick! Wake up!" I exclaimed, shaking him.

"Nessa..." he mumbled as he opened his eyes and looked around in daze.

"It is okay. It was just a nightmare," I said softly, caressing his chest, trying to smooth him.

He leaned against the headboard, running his hand through his wet hair while breathing heavily.

"What did you see?" I asked worriedly after giving him a glass of water.

"It isn't important," Rick mumbled sadly after taking a few sips from the water and heaved a loud sigh, closing his eyes.

After placing the glass on the bedside table, he lay down on the bed and opened his arm, asking me to join him. I gave him a tender smile and rested my head on his chest, placing my hand on his chest. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, holding me against his chest tightly, and placed a soft kiss on my hair, breathing in my scent.

When I woke up the following morning, Rick wasn't in the bed. I pulled the cover away and got up, ruffling my hair sleepily. I walked towards the drawer to grab one of his shirts.

As I pulled out his white shirt, something fell down to the floor. I put on the shirt and bent down to grab the photo. There were two boys in the photo. Probably, they were in their teens.

I smiled as I recognized Rick despite the fact he had different style; he was almost unrecognizable. He had a man bun, and his tattoos were lesser than now.  There was a mischievous glint in his eyes. He looked joyous and carefree. Despite the fact he had a bad boy aura now, he looked a real bad boy in this photo.

"Are you..." Rick stared at the photo in my hand without finishing his sentence as he noticed what I was holding in my hand.

"You were attractive when you were teenager as well," I commented, grinning, amused. He gave me a lazy smile, approaching me. "Is he your brother?" I asked curiously, gesturing to the other boy in the photo. They looked like each other, but he looked more serious than Rick.

My Italian pursed his lips together as sadness crossed his features and he grabbed the photo. Rick stared at it, lost in his thoughts. He sighed and nodded before putting the photo into the drawer.

"Where is he now?" I asked, intrigued.

"He..." Suddenly, his phone rang, interrupting him. "Excuse me," he mumbled and left the bedroom quickly without letting me say anything.

***

I was looking at my engagement ring gloomily while the people around me were having fun at my engagement party. Despite the fact I tried to find something to stop it, I wasn't successful.

At least, my father accepted my request, and they didn't invite any paparazzi to the event. Of course, he wasn't so willing, but when I threatened him that I would make a scene at the party, he was forced to accept. His reputation came before everything else, even his daughter's happiness.

Rick hadn't still known about this engagement, but I had to tell him as soon as possible before he heard it from someone else despite the fact I was afraid of his reaction. I had to assure him that it was just temporary; I would find a way to get rid of this jerk.

"Are you okay, Nessa?" Jasmine asked, concerned, resting her hand on my arm.

"After getting engaged to someone who I hate?!" I commented sarcastically and tried to hold my tears back.