#009 • 𝔸𝕟 𝔸𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕝𝕠𝕘𝕖𝕣'𝕤 𝕎𝕠𝕖𝕤

・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆

I was heading back from the tavern, my knees quite nearly buckling beneath me. The memory of what had just transpired, already plaguing my mind. His violent eyes seared themselves into my memory. What was he implying? What is preventing him from telling me, exactly? He tells me everything, so why not this?

Just what is he hiding? Who is he covering for?

My thoughts were immediately cut off, after my head pricked up at the sound of some rather odd gossip. The source coming from two female travelling merchants.

"Hey, have you heard? There's been whispers about some of the Adepti crossing over to other nations. It's odd... The Adepti have very rarely been seen outside of Liyue. It seems that they are in search of something..." The merchant whispered, likely not wanting to stir up panic, in case the target of their search is something of equal danger.

"I wonder what could be so important to them that they would prioritise that over the safety of their own nation. It must be something big..." a hushed query escaped the other.

The Adepti? Could it have been one of them behind the incident in the woods? But it can't be... they're known for not meddling in other nations' affairs. But what if it is...

"-You're already a month overdue on your payment. I can't sell you anymore until I get that money. I'm sorry, but it's policy. I understand that this equipment is necessary for your line of work, but you're going to have to wait on purchasing it until you've payed off your debt for the other materials."

A gentle yet stern voice made its way to my ears, it's source seeming to have come from another merchant and a customer. I rounded the corner, my curiosity taking ahold of me. On the opposite side of the stone-brick building situated the two. One an everyday merchant, but the other, a uniquely dressed female. Her most notable feature being the witch-like hat that sat atop her head. Dark blues and purples adorned her outfit, with gold accessories interwoven with the ends of her pigtails.

Her eyes were pleading, as if hoping that the look alone would persuade the other, "Please... I need them soon. My other ones broke and they are necessary for almost all of my readings. I don't have the money now, but I'm sure I can get it by next month. I just need to pick up a couple of new jobs. So please. Please, let it slide this once."

Upon the hesitant shake of the other's head, it's as if the witch-like female sinks into herself. Her features ridden with a downtrodden look, as her eyes couldn't even meet the other's. Not a peep escaped her lips, as she silently slinks away. Her hunched form barely even noticeable, due to the distance.

My heart sobbed at the sight. Someone who seems so passionate about her craft, being restricted by such issues. I couldn't take it, and without even realising, I had made my way over to the merchant. A moment was taken as I tried to figure out how I had come to this position. "I'll pay for the equipment and whatever debt she owed to you."

The merchant's jaw at this point was practically unhinged. Her incoherent babbles an affect of the shock that the female had just heard. "Are you being serious right now? Those debts are quite high, and they're her own responsibility to pay. She knew that when she made them."

A new sound enters my ears, it's sound snapping my head over to the source, only to find a trail of bubbles making their way over towards direction. A figure soon leaps out from within, a bright smile adorning their features. Stars practically reflecting in her orbs, as she grasps my hands with the upmost hope, "Are you sure?! If you are, you must be an angel. Maybe even better than an angel. Oh, you don't know how much this means to me!"