#012 • ℝ𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕄𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤

・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆

Crackling flames draw my eyes to the source as they dance under the night's star-lit sky. A warm aroma of freshly cooked food along with the pleasant smell of a camp fire tickles my throat. The soft chirping of crickets and the gentle fluttering of the leaves upon the trees. The crisp air against my skin leaving gentle goosebumps, yet the warmth radiating from the fire keeping me from shivering; a comforting atmosphere.

My eyes flicker away from the embers, momentarily, catching the sight of a joyous Paimon munching down on her favourite meal, as she snuggles into my side. My... what an adorable little sister she would be...

But the moment was cut short by a sudden snap of a twig from behind. Hushed, yet hurried footsteps making their way closer from behind. My heart skips a beat in nervous anticipation, as I rapidly clamber to protect Paimon incase of an attack.

I remain still, listening as the footsteps draw nearer, until they're only a couple of feet away. I summon my sword to the ready, preparing to use it to defend both myself and the petite friend in my arms...

The presence tackles me into a tight hug, as they instantly fling the sword away from my hands. I squeak, as I feel their weight on my back, their chest rumbling as they seem to sigh in relief.

My pounding heart gradually calms upon noticing the blonde braid that drapes itself over my shoulder. "Aether! Don't scare me like that! I could've hurt you if you weren't careful..." I sigh, the warmth emitting off of him even more comforting than that from the campfire.

Soft sobs cause my anxiety to spike once again as warm drops soak into my clothes. I pivot my head around to get a good look at his face yet, due to him stuffing it into my shoulder blade, made me unsuccessful. So, I just sigh, gently reaching my hand around to his and pulling him head first to my lap, stroking his hair and detangling any knots. A soft melody echoing around the area, as I hum a soft tune in hopes of calming him. Something about this scene being all too familiar. I remember when I used to do this for her...

"You know, I've always found your presence familiar and I think I finally know why...", my hands continue to dance through his locks, as I explain. He hums in acknowledgment at my words, as if to say 'I'm listening...' and so I continue. "I'm sorry I didn't realise it before, and I know you're going to be mad at me for not telling you. But I've only just realised, since you remind me so much of her... my dear friend."

His body suddenly jerks up, eyes wide in wonder and joy, urging me to explain further.  "Huh? Her? Wait... are you on about..."

"Lumine..." my voice quivers, as a saline solution fills my glossy eyes. Whilst his seem to widen with hope, as his hands grasp both of my shoulders rapidly.

My hands shake, tears dripping down my face to meet them. Guilt swamping my mind due to me only realising the similarities now. "Y-you've met Lumine!?", He questions, as I apologise profusely.

My lip quivers in hopes of containing the sobs that threaten to release, expecting hostility and blame to be sent my way, and yet nothing does. Instead a comforting hand rests itself upon my back, rubbing in circular motions, whilst Aether gently shushes my cries. I explain the situation from 500 years ago, as he listens intently. My hiccups from the crying echo as his other hand rises to my face, caressing the tears off of my cheeks. "Don't cry... it's okay. You've had a lot on your mind. I don't blame you. If anything, I'm really glad to know that she had a friend like you by her side. Thank you... For everything." I smile contently at his words, relieved that the situation was resolved and that Aether doesn't hate me.