Eclipse

The next morning, Joyce woke up before Hop.

"Shit, Hop. What time is it?!"

Hopper rubbed his eyes and looked around, startled.

"Uh," he looked at his alarm clock. "9:30?"

"Oh my God. I'm late for work!" Joyce scrambled to find her clothes, throwing them on and running to Hop's bathroom to freshen up.

"You can't take a day off?" Hop asked, hoping she would spend the day with him.

She stepped out of the bathroom, clasping her bra behind her back. "I'm in enough trouble as it is. When Will was gone I nearly got fired. I have to go."

"Well, alright." Hopper sat up. "Can I at least make you a cup of coffee?"

"No time," she called back to Hop. She paused, feeling guilty for rushing out. The night was starting to process in her mind. She decided to run back to him and kiss his cheek before she left.

"Hey, I'll call you, okay?" she told him, a sorry look in her eyes. "I promise."

Hop's eyes followed her incredible figure as she walked away. Wow, he thought, an involuntary smile creeping onto his face. A week ago, he could've never imagined this situation panning out. Now, in his house, he was waking up next to Joyce after an unbelievable night with her, and even got a kiss goodbye. He closed his eyes, savoring the moment. He wasn't sure if this is what his future was going to look like, but he sure hoped it was.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

About a week had passed since their second night together. The two talked on the phone every day since, but for the most part they were avoiding the elephant in the room.

Tonight, they had agreed to meet at Bosco's, one of the popular bars in downtown Hawkins.

At 7 o'clock, Joyce arrived, ordered a grasshopper, and waited for Hop to show up. A tall man in a business suit walked up to the bar shortly after she sat down, grabbing the seat next to her.

"Oh, this seat is taken..." Joyce told him. She wanted to save the spot for Hop but also felt uncomfortable that this strange guy had chosen to sit so close to her.

"Really? I don't see anyone in it," he grinned, showing his set of shockingly pearly whites, obviously flirting with her.

Joyce, flustered, replied, "Well, it's going to be. I'm meeting someone here."

"Ah, okay. A boyfriend? Coworker? What's he like?"

Joyce scrunched her eyebrows. She didn't like this guy. He was smug. His jet black hair was slicked back with an absurd amount of gel, his teeth seemed opulent and unnatural, and his accent was strange. Texan, maybe?

"I didn't say it was a man. And why does that matter to you?" she replied, clearly irritated.

"Woah, woah, woah there. I didn't mean to offend you, madam. Say, can I buy you a drink?"

Joyce narrowed her eyes. "Excuse me? No. I said I was meeting someone—"

"You deaf, buddy?" Hopper said, startling Joyce. He walked up just in time to hear the end of their interaction, grabbing the collar of the guy's shirt with his fist, forcing him to stare into Hop's eyes and answer to him directly.

Joyce, wide-eyed, looked back and forth between the two men, slightly worried at the possibility of Hop punching those pretty little teeth in, but she was also aroused at the same time. He was taking control of this uncomfortable situation, asserting his dominance, and she couldn't help but feel like he might be a bit possessive over her. As strong and independent a woman as she was, she didn't hate the feeling of being protected and watching a guy get jealous over her.