Chapter Seven

Cin fell into a routine with the Beast.

Every second day, she would fetch him at the Lake, feed him, and then ask him to stay. But, he never stayed past dessert. After a month, she realized that his reluctance had more to do with the dilapidated state of Rose Manor than anything else.

As a result, her days were divided between tending to the High Lord's needs and attempting to clear away the ruinous overgrowth that choked the Manor. Her method of removing the vines involved using her magic to reverse their growth, watching as they uncoiled and untwisted before retreating into the ground. What she hadn't anticipated was how time-consuming this task would be.

Having cleared only a small area around the broken door leading to the courtyard, Cin was beginning to lose hope that she would ever fully restore the Manor. Her magic was not limitless like the High Lord's, and employing it so intensively left her exhausted at the end of each day.

"So this how you waste your afternoons," Bron's voice, muffled and partially absorbed by the vines, interrupted her thoughts. He had veered off the path he had worn through the overgrowth to reach her.

Startled by his sudden appearance, Cin turned and swallowed hard before responding, "It's not a waste. The High Lord needs a home."

She reminded herself that it was her brother standing before her, not a stranger.

"Why doesn't he clean it himself then?" Bron questioned, kicking the stubborn vine she had been trying to undo. That vine had led her on a circuitous route through the foyer and back to the hallway. Leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets, Bron continued, "You're not his slave, Cin. You shouldn't be responsible for cleaning up his messes."

"I'm helping him. Someone has to, and it's not going to be you," Cin hissed, turning her back to him. She had endured enough of his scorn when it came to the High Lord, and they had agreed to permanently shelve that topic. "Just because all of you have abandoned him doesn't mean I should."

"He did this to himself, you know," Bron sighed. Cin remained focused, crouched as she untwisted the vine, until she heard the crunch of glass and stone under his boot. "Come on, Papa needs you."

"You mean, you need me, right?" She straightened up and brushed her hands against the already dirt-streaked bottom of her dress. "Because the last time I checked, Papa is your responsibility during the day so you can spend your nights carefree. Or is there a reason why you're reneging on our deal?"

"You're not safe out here, by yourself." Bron crossed his arms and shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other, scanning the hallway. "I don't want you to be this close to him. He's dangerous, and he'll hurt you, or worse, you'll get hurt because of him."

"Stop treating me like a child in need of constant protection!" She snapped. "How many times must we have this same argument before you realize you can't control me, Bron? I won't be hurt again, whether I'm inside Clematis' gates or in this decrepit, rundown hovel."

"Why can't you see how dangerous that line of thinking is, especially now?"

"If you truly cared about my safety, you'd help me. Because you know the only person who can truly make this court safe again is its High Lord."

"That's not fair." Bron's voice cracked, his face tightening as he leaned away from her and whispered, "I did everything I could to find you."

"I know. And it still took weeks to find me. It's time to put your faith back in the High Lord." She knew she had crossed a line, but so had he. The only reason he hadn't locked her up in their home yet was that he wouldn't give her the satisfaction of comparing him to the High Lord he hated.