Newcomer

Chapter 7 - Newcomer

"I think you should dial 9-1-1. Just in case, ya know, if I can't get my heart beating again," Lisa said dramatically as she still sat on the back of my bike.

I laughed as I gently took her arms off me and helped her get off the bike. She held onto my forearms as she steadied her wobbly legs. 

I smirked. "I thought werewolves were supposed to be good with balance and...well, everything else," I said flatly.

She chuckled. "Ya, supposed to be is one thing. I've always been a disgrace to our kind. I'm weak, Alexis," she looked at me with sad eyes. "I wish I was strong like you. You're...awesome!" she patted my chest like she was a little tipsy.

I frowned and took her hands in mine. "Hey! Don't say that. You're strong, Lisa. You are..."

"No," she shook her head. "I can't even tell my parents about my mate. My mate Alex! Do you know what it's like to hurt your mate! It hurts you too! I'm hurt! I shouldn't be doing this to him...to me! Being weak...it's exhausting."

I sighed. "Listen to me. You are a great woman, Lisa. Ryan is lucky to have you. I'm lucky to call you my friend. You might not be as fearless as me, Lisa, but that doesn't matter. You shouldn't want to be like me. You have your own kind of strengths. You're trustworthy, and believe me when I say I wouldn't trust you if I didn't think you were a good person. You have a great heart, Lisa." I pointed to her chest. "Don't ever lose that. That's what makes you special. Different than everyone else. Ryan sees it, I see it. Now you just need to see it. Don't take yourself for granted. Life's too short for that. You'll figure everything out with your parents. I know you will. But if you ever need me, I'll be here. I've always got your back, Lisa. Don't forget that!"

She smiled kindly and reached over to hug me. After a second, I hugged her back. It's been a while since I hugged anyone. It felt natural...good.

She giggled. "You should learn to live by your own advice, you know?"

I laughed. "I wouldn't be me if I did."

She chuckled and wrapped her arm around my shoulder. "Let's go inside and hang out," she laughed. Then she pointed to my bike. "And, no offense, but I'll never get on that thing with you again. You drive like a maniac!"

I laughed. "Fair enough." 

Together we walked inside.

"Yo Ho! Anybody home!" I yelled when I walked inside.

"Nice place," Lisa whispered to me.

I smiled. "Thanks, but it's Holts."

"Over here!" I heard Holt yell from the kitchen.

Lisa and I made our way over.

Holt was chilling on the couch with a video game on the television. He paused the game and looked our way. "Oh, company! Hello. And it's your place too, silly."

Lisa waved. "Hey Holt."

He smiled to us. 

I turned to Lisa. "Hey, why don't you head upstairs to my room."

"Um sure. Which one is it?" she asked.

"It's the one with black walls. Can't miss it!" Holt teased at me and I just rolled my eyes. He was never going to leave me alone about my black room. The 'room of doom' he called it, among other things. 

She nodded and started making her way up.

Holt curled his finger for me to bend down to his head.