Burden of Sacrifice

Chapter 37 - Burden of Sacrifice

~ Mason's POV ~

I jerked my head up when I started to hear loud noises from beyond the door. Something was going on. I couldn't make out anything that they were saying, though. 

"Yes, sir!" I finally heard someone say and the door to my room was open. A different guy walked inside and held a few syringes in his hand. 

"You fucking touch me and I'll..." I was cut off when he stabbed one of the syringes in my neck. He didn't waist any time in doing the same with the other few.

He smirked and backed away when he was done. "Squirm all you want. Those drugs are heavy shit."

I growled and felt the drugs starting to take effect, just when I was starting to feel like I was regaining my strength. Peachy. "What's going on out there?" I questioned.

"Your girl was causing a little bit of trouble, but we got her," he said, then walked out of the room and slammed the door shut.

I jerked forward in the chains, trying one last time to break free. But nothing. They weren't budging and I was just as dormant as before.

Another few minutes passed before I heard some voices beyond the door again. The door flew open and I immediately saw the back of one man as he walked backwards into the room. I felt my heart break as I noticed that he was helping to carry in my unconscious mate. Two men dragged her into the room and positioned her so that she was sitting in a chair. 

"Get away from her!" I growled but they ignored me.

They tied her to the chair and her head was slumped forward. They must have found a way to drug her too. I noticed that her clothes were slightly ripped and she had blood slowly dripping from a head wound that looked to be a few hours old. 

I closed my eyes and shook my head in utter disbelief. This could not be happening. No. This had to be a nightmare. It just had to be. 

The two men left when they were done setting her up. 

"Alex?" I whispered loudly, trying to wake her. She didn't respond though. "Alex! Come on, baby. Wake up! Alexis!"

Nothing. She was out cold. 

Dammit, Flynn! Hurry!

"Ah, good! Everyone's here!" Gerald announced when he walked into the room a few moments afterwards. 

"Where's Darwin?" I growled. I was going to kill him if it's the last thing I do!

He smirked. "Don't worry. He'll get his turn. I wanted to have a few moments alone with my daughter first."

"You touch a hair on her head and I swear..."

Without warning he slapped her across her face and I saw her wince. Slowly, she started to open her eyes and wake up. I growled. 

"Sorry, I didn't hear you," he said sarcastically, raising his eyebrows when he looked in my direction. 

"You son of a bitch!"

"Yes, my mother was in fact," he smirked and turned back to Alex.

Alex's eyes shot open then and I saw her scrambling to take in everything quickly. When her eyes met mine they held both relief and fear. I gave her a sheepish smile, still happy to see her despite the circumstances. 

She glared up at him. "I'm sure she'd be very proud of her son."

He slapped her again and her head jerked to the side. I let out a growl