Intuition

Chapter 32 - Intuition

~ Alexis POV ~

I was crazy. I knew I was crazy. 

I let a stranger into this territory and I was risking everybody. I knew that, and I knew Mason sure as hell knew that. I felt horrible, and if anything happened because of me, then I'll personally go back to that cliff and jump straight off it. 

But he's my brother. Tyranny and hate is all he's ever known growing up. I'm not a fool. I know that Hunters blood is in him too because of it. I know I can't fully trust him right now. 

But he's my brother. I too grew up with hate and I still found love in my heart. I had a support system with me, and maybe if I give him that opportunity, he too will learn that hate isn't the only feeling out there. There's always the chance that he's too far gone, and I know that. As much as I'd like to save him, not everyone is capable of being saved. Sometimes there's just bad people and good people and there's nothing we can do to change that.

But he's my brother. I have to try.

Mason and I had our first fight last night, but we made up before we went to sleep. He understood why I did what I did, but he wasn't happy that I lied to him. I knew he'd be mad, and it was something that I made amens with before I went looking for Darwin. I assured him that I wouldn't lie to him ever again and he was satisfied with that. 

But I had to make Mason understand something, and he wasn't happy about that either. This is a war and I'm dead in the middle. I'm taking risks every day and sometimes he'll be there to help and sometimes he won't. And he has to stop blaming himself for everything that goes wrong and everything that's about to go wrong. It'll destroy him in the end because not everything is controllable. And this thing that we've getting ourselves into, it's the least controllable of them all. 

He didn't talk much after I said that and he just held me tight in his arms the whole night.

"Hey," I said to Austin as I entered the kitchen, Mason close behind me and he nodded to Austin. A typical 'man's nod'. 

Austin smirked. "Sleep with a knife under your pillow?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Ya," Mason said for me.

"Ya, I get it," I snapped. "We can't fully trust him yet. Don't need to tell me again."

"Someone's a little cranky," Austin commented, sitting down with his orange juice. He was going to drink us dry of that stuff soon enough.

"Well there's a lot to think about and I do my best thinking at night," I said, sitting down beside Mason, across from Austin.

"So tell me, Princess Leia, where is Luke Skywalker?" Austin chuckled, referring to the Star Wars twins that were separated at birth and fell in love later.

I cringed. "Ew...don't even go there."

Mason chuckled and I was relieved that the tension between us had passed.

I turned when I heard a noise and we all watched Darwin walk into the room in jeans and a shirt that Mason lent him. It was a little small for him since he was really tall, but they'll do. Wonder how he got to be so tall while I wasn't. I heard something once about twins getting separated at birth and growing up different than they would have if they had stuck together. Talk about different.  

"Morning," my twin said, a small smile on his face.

"Sleep well?" Mason asked him and I heard an edge to his voice, but it seemed to go undetected by Darwin.