Episode 3 - Mysteries of Humanity

We walked home with 11B following us, but there was something wrong with her. 11B looked over her shoulder at every alley and corner constantly, as if someone followed her. Looking closer, I noticed that 11B shook visibly, she was afraid of something.

"11B, are you ok?" I asked, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"AAAHHH!" 11B screamed and turned toward me with a raised fist, ready to punch me.

"Calm down, it's me, Alan!" I exclaimed, raising both hands while stepping back.

11B calmed down, but she could not lower her fist when she tried. The Yorha looked back and came face to face with a pair of angry twins, with Devola holding her wrist.

"Explain it, now!" Devola demanded.

"Explain what?" 11B asked, pretending to be confused, but she did not fool anyone here.

"You looked over your shoulder constantly and walked hurriedly since we left the camp. I can see the fear in your eyes, 11B." Popola said, fixing 11B.

"We were willing to ignore it, but we want answers due to your aggressive reaction to a tap on the shoulder." Devola spoke, releasing 11B.

11B looked around for a few seconds; I realized she was not looking at us but at the buildings around us all. Then 11B bowed and apologized.

"I'm sorry, Alan! However, I cannot speak here; we need to go somewhere safe." 11B picked up the bags she dropped and waited for my answer.

"We will talk at my house, but you will walk with Devola and Popola from now on!" I replied, pointing at the twins.

11B nodded and did as I said. Therefore, we returned to our walk, the friendly atmosphere gone and giving way to an uncomfortable silence.

-XXXXXX-

We arrived at our house, and wiping my feet on the welcome mat; I took a key from my pocket, unlocked the front door, and entered the house, accompanied by the PODs, Devola and Popola.

11B was the last one to enter; she looked around the house curiously upon stepping into the living room.

It does not surprise me; our house stands out, despite being further away from the center of the City Ruins. After all, the twins and I renovated the entire place a few years ago. This house was just another ruin before we lived here, now it seems brand new.

The house had a wooden front door with a peephole, leading to a small hallway where a wooden table with photos on top of it stood on the right side. The photos consisted of landscapes, cities, and a generic family.

There were coat hangers attached to the wall on the left side of the hallway, with three coats hanging from them. Boots and shoes stood on the ground, below the coats, with an umbrella holder the size of a bucket beside it.

But there were no umbrellas, only melee weapons like an iron bar, a metal pipe, a baseball bat with nails and barbed wire wrapped around it, a machete, and a fire ax.

Devola and Popola said there was no need for that. However, you never know when you will need it, do you?

The hallway led to the living room with an extremely comfortable white sofa bed, it is not as if the owner of the store we broke into would care, and two smaller sofas with space for two people.

A coffee table made of wood and glass stood in front of the sofa bed, on top of a large red and purple rug, with smaller sofas beside it. A recliner made of leather stood on the right side of the room, with a large wooden bookcase next to it.

The hallway leading to the kitchen stood on the left side of the living room, with the door leading to the basement on the right side of the hallway, where I kept tools and repair parts.