Interval 5 PART 2 - Prometheus and Sisyphus

We returned home after today's events, almost ripping the door off its hinges, and collapsing into the living room.

I threw myself into the armchair with the fire ax in my hands, looking out the window. Devola, Popola, and 11B sat on the couch with their weapons ready while the PODs floated beside me.

We stared at each other in tense silence, waiting for someone to converse.

"So.../That was.../What the hell.../That machine..." Everyone spoke simultaneously.

We went silent again after realizing no one could speak. Minutes passed and we walked around the house, looking out the windows, waiting for something. What was that something? A machine? A Yorha android?

I cannot tell. We were all afraid. I do not know how much time passed, but eventually, we calmed down and talked.

"I think it's time we talk about what happened." I took a deep breath, receiving a nod from everyone.

"What were those machines doing? The ones I fought during missions never did something so strange." 11B spoke first.

"The machines tried to imitate human reproduction." Popola spoke right after, frowning in deep thought.

"And from that, a machine was born." Devola continued, crossing her arms, and sharing her sister's feelings.

"And androids attacking were one of the first things this machine saw when born." I spoke.

"Alan, you fought this war longer than anyone here. Do you know why the machines acted like that?" 11B asked and everyone looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Let me tell you the story of Prometheus." I replied, looking up and leaning back on my armchair.

-Kingdom of the Night, El Salvador, Year 7.645-

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

The Medium Biped fell to the ground, torn apart by the shots of my Mossberg Mariner while a Stubby approached from my left. Spinning quickly, I aimed at its face, pumped, and pulled the trigger.

BANG!

The machine fell to the ground, its head blasted by the lead rain, but another Stubby appeared on my right. I turned towards it, pumped, and pulled the trigger again.

BANG!

The machine fell too, the red light in its eyes fading. Suddenly, I heard metallic footsteps approaching and saw a Medium Stubby running towards me. I did not have time to reload, so I drew my Beretta and fired.

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

The machine fell in mid-run, its body sliding across the street. A few seconds of silence passed before metallic footsteps echoed down the moonlit street.

I ran away from there, passing through wide and narrow streets, entering a five-story building, and hiding myself on the fourth floor, next to a window overlooking the street.

I pressed my back against the wall and watched the area, seeing a group of passing machines, their red eyes lighting up the night, so I hid behind the wall again, waiting for them to go away.

I waited a few seconds in silence when the steps disappeared. The machines did not come back, I slid my back against the wall and sat on the floor, sighing relieved. Therefore, I reloaded my guns and rested.