Interval 5 - New Life in the Kingdom of the Night

-Kingdom of the Night, Year 4193-

BANG!

The bullet ripped through the air, closing the distance and hitting the SHADE on the side of its head. The thing dropped dead and dissipated, leaving a wallet behind; I slung my rifle over my shoulder and walked toward it.

"I don't understand why you collect these things." Novi said, stopping beside me and resting her carbine on her shoulder.

"It's weird, have you ever wondered why SHADES carry everyday objects?" I opened the wallet and observed its contents.

An identity degraded by time with the photo, name, and fingerprint unrecognizable, a faded credit card of an unidentifiable bank, and bills that turned to dust when I touched them.

"They are SHADES. Why should I care?" Novi shrugged.

"I understand why the war against the SHADES lasted so long." I put the wallet in my backpack.

"What do you mean?" Novi asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You don't understand your enemy; I'm not talking about befriending the SHADES, but about studying them. Their reproduction, feeding, behavior, and more, you talk about killing the SHADES, but you don't know anything about them."

"PPSSHH! As if, we had anything to learn from them. Come on, you still have to tell me what the stuff scattered around town is for. That blackboard, what was the name?" Novi said, punching my arm playfully.

"Television?" I replied hesitantly, disappointed by her answer.

"That's right! Television, I want to know what it is for." Novi said, walking beside me.

"Well, people used it to transmit different types of programs..." Suddenly, I felt Novi's hand holding mine.

"Continue, please." Novi said staring at me with blushed cheeks.

"You aren't listening to anything I'm saying, are you?" I asked staring back and feeling my face heat up.

"No." Novi shook her head, giving me a loving smile and dreamy gaze.

"Why do I even try?" I asked in false frustration, returning Novi's gestures with my own.

"You try because you like me." Novi said, resting her head on my shoulder.

"You're right and I know you like me too." I smiled, holding her hand tighter.

"How did you find out?" Novi asked, pretending to be surprised. Then, together, hand in hand, we walked through the city.

-Realm of the Night, Year 4194-

"So, you come here often?" I asked nervously, giving my best flirting smile.

"Serious? Is this your best flirt?" Novi asked sarcastically from across the table while crossing her arms.

"Sorry, I've never been on a date." I replied apologetically, scratching the back of my head.

"Well, that's obvious." Novi said, shaking her head.

Novi and I were on a date in a luxury restaurant on the roof of a building, red carpets covered the floor, and golden chandeliers hung from what remained of the ceiling.

An old piano stood on a stage, tables, and chairs of the best quality were scattered across the roof, and the glass dome at the top of the building broke, giving us a view of the full moon that lit up the sky.

Novi wore a nice white dress that did not do much to hide her muscles, a pearl necklace, and diamond earrings that she looted from a high-class store. I cannot judge as I did the same. I wore a black tuxedo with a red tie, gold cufflinks, and Italian leather shoes.