Interrogation

Ava Anderson

I remained on the bed laying into my memory the designs
of the ceiling. A tear managed to slip from the corner of my right eye. The events of yesterday replayed in my eye, it was something I will never forget.

She was little and had a life ahead of her. She wanted to go shopping with her mother, that was taken away from her.

She wanted to show the boys she was better than them in football and that was taken.

She was only a child and from what she told me in the last few days of her life, her father had died when she was little and her mother was a fruit seller.

The pain her mother must be going through now is nothing compared to mine, hers will be greater.

The man I ran into in the hallway must have killed her because the tatoo that was on her wrist was the same he had on his. All I can remember about him was the scar that ran from his right eye down to his lips.

The hospital called to tell me that he police needed my report since I was the nurse assigned to her as at the time of her death.

My phone ranged.

I rolled over to the bedside drawer and picked it up. Without looking at the caller, I answered.

"Hello" I cringed at the sound of my voice which was as a result of the crying since I got home.

"Don't tell me you were crying all night. Did you sleep? "

It was Marco.

"I managed to" I said sitting up.

I looked at the wall clock, it was past six. I was meant to be in the hospital on or before eight.

"I'll be there in thirty. Get ready, I'm taking you to the hospital" He said. The sound of the door being slammed following by scolding by a woman was heard.

I cut the door and got out of bed. The bathroom light was on as I forgot to put it out last night.

I grimaced when I saw my reflection on the mirror. I had a not very nice swollen eye bag and my eyes were red. My hair was so tangled that I did not know where to start from in combing it.

I did my business quickly and in about twenty minutes, I was standing by the door waiting for Marco to knock. Zoe had left earlier in the morning, she wanted to make up for the time she spent away from the hospital.

A knock came and I gingerly opened it after making sure it was Marco on the other side. He side hugged me and we both walked out.

******* *********

The ride to the hospital was a short one since it was only a street away. He parked in the driveway and I waited for him to talk which he did not so I started a conversation.

"I'm sorry" I whispered wiping off another tear.

He turned his head looking at me, confused "For?"

"The past few days, I've been bothering you with my problems and I know-" I started but he interrupted me.

"No, you have not bothered me with any problem" He said smiling down at me.

"I have been a burden and I'm sorry about that" I held back the tears that was threatening to fall.

"You are not a burden, Ava" He emphasised on the 'not'.

"But-"

"Shut up. I'm your friend and I should be there for you in time of need" He said glaring at the steering wheel.