Dejavu

Lorenzo Romano

Ava ate her fruit slowly taking her time. She was clearly hiding something from me since the interrogation with the police. She had been quiet on the ride home, answering my questions in one word. I was beginning to think they had threatened her not to say anything.

"Ava" I reached across the bed taking her hands in mine, she stopped trying to crack the seed, her eyes meeting mine.

"You know you can always tell me anything right?" I whispered asked. She nodded and went back to cracking the seed, if I was not trying to get something out of her, I would have found that act funny, so cute of her.

"What did they say to you, Ava?" I asked again slowly.

"I think I've had enough to today, I hardly slept last night so I think you should leave" She stated. She dropped the plate with the crack seed on the bedside drawer and got into the bed turning her back on me so I won't see her face.

I sighed ruffling my hand through my hair in frustration, I had to know what those police men wanted from her. I shouldn't have agreed to her speaking with them in the first place.

I crept over to the side she was facing, she swiftly closed her eye pretending to be asleep. After placing a lingering kiss on her forehead, I felt her temperature, she was still cold as a result of the ride we took.

I had offered to give her one of my jacket but she refused with the excuse of how wearing a jacket on an hoodie would make her look fashion less.

"Enzo, stop staring. A picture lasts longer" She whispered. My breath hitched at the sound of the nickname, it was a name that was long forgotten.

"Enzo?" I muttered beneath my breath. She slowly opened one of her eye staring at me confused.

"What's wrong with the name?, Lorenzo is long so I decided to shorten it, if you don't mind i-" I placed my index finger on her lips shutting her.

"Enzo is fine, the only person who used to call me that was my mother and since she's dead, no one called me by that. The name sounds better coming from your lips" I said, we remained silent thereafter lost in our thoughts.

My father demanded that no one called me by that nickname because according to him, the name makes me weak like a child. I was going to change that even if it meant being weak for her only.

Ava.

I removed my finger which was still pressed against her lips.  She was back to presented to be asleep, I must commend her for trying to change the topic. If this was a game, I was so going to come out victorious.

There was only one thing that could get the answer outof her.

"I was thinking of us both spending our honeymoon in Maldives but since you are not in the mood to talk then we are stucked on this boring mansion" I smirked. Her eyes shot open immediately, a smile played on her lips knowing I got her.

"Wait!" She sat up on the bed pulling me down with her as I tried to get up, it was my turn to act like I was not interested in whatever she was going to say.

"Let's talk" She said gingerly patting the bed, I grudgingly sat on it pretending to still not he interested.

"Really, I thought you wanted your beauty sleep" I said teasing her, she rolled her hands before crossing her arms under her chest.

"Are we really going to Maldives? " She asked, her face brightening. Her smile got my heart beating fast, it was beautiful and contaminating at the same time. I had to fight to urge to kiss her for fear of her rejecting me.