THIRTY-ONE | Kitty

KITTY HAD NEVER PLAYED MARIO KART but as far as she could tell, driving through Orlando at two in the morning while Alex stood out of the sun roof and shot down empousai, all while trying not to die, must've been what Mario Kart was like

KITTY HAD NEVER PLAYED MARIO KART but as far as she could tell, driving through Orlando at two in the morning while Alex stood out of the sun roof and shot down empousai, all while trying not to die, must've been what Mario Kart was like. Who needed a license when you had Tyche's favor?

She stayed face front, watching for signs for Disney World. They weren't hard to find. Seemed like every other block had a billboard or a sign or what not. When they got closer, Ophelia focused on manipulating the Mist to conceal them.

And so somehow, an hour later, Kitty pulled into a massive empty parking lot called the Transportation and Ticket Center, took a few deep breaths in a parking space, and tried to wipe the enormous grin off her face.

They'd reached Disney World. They were all in one piece. They hadn't killed anyone. Kitty glanced back as Alex, trying to catch his breath, eased himself back down into the second row. Well, she hadn't killed anyone.

"You're never driving again," Alex said. Closing his eyes, he let his head fall back onto the headrest. "Gods."

Kitty rolled her eyes. "Hey! I did good."

"You got lucky."

"That's literally what I do, asshole."

Ophelia snorted out a small laugh, opening the passenger side door and stepping into the night. The shadows seemed to dark around them. A few overhead lights flickered. "Get some sleep. I can keep us hidden."

Alex rolled down his back window. He scooted over to the door and stuck his arm out, pointing her way. "You need to sleep too. And we need a plan."

"The plan is to not die," Kitty said. Seemed like a good enough plan to her. They would just head to the theme parks in the morning and poke around. "We head over tomorrow and see what's up."

"Great plan, in theory," Alex said. He paused as they all noticed a few workers walking by in white uniforms and cleaning supplies. But they didn't glance over. He turned back to Kitty up in the front. "Except Ophelia can't help during the day, we have no idea where in Disney the Lyre is, and we don't have enough cash left for park tickets."

"I could steal a credit card."

Alex just massaged his forehead. Kitty couldn't help but snicker. The adrenaline from driving along the highways and overpasses of Orlando still had her buzzing.

"I mean, I could also steal one which would double our chances," he said. "But without O to manipulate the Mist, it'll be obvious it's stolen when we buy the tickets. That would land us in jail."

"Does Disney have a jail?"

"How should I know?"

"Hey, focus." Ophelia moved back to the car and leaned against the door, arms crossed along the open window space. Between the three, she looked least spent. It really was incredible how abundant her power could be at night. "You're too tired to fight anything right now," she said, running a hand through Alex's hair. Then she turned to Kitty. "We can do some reconnaissance at the hotels tomorrow. Keep out of the sun and poke around a bit. Then at night, head into one of the parks."