FIFTY | Kitty

A GENTLE BREEZE BLEW strands of her light brown hair into her face as she sat kicking her small legs in the comfortable wicker rocking chair on the blue porch

A GENTLE BREEZE BLEW strands of her light brown hair into her face as she sat kicking her small legs in the comfortable wicker rocking chair on the blue porch. In the distance she could hear laughter. The scent of strawberries, carried on the wind, filled her nose as she looked out over the grass and trees.

There were volleyball courts here. In the heat of the summer sun, she watched a group of young boys screaming and laughing as they tried to keep the ball in the air. Overhead, she watched a pair of pegasi soar beyond reach. She took a deep breath. She could get used to this.

“Focus on the game, Katerina.”

Katerina turned back towards the table. Across from her sat a beautiful woman, pale skin glistening in the sunlight and dark brown hair curled down one shoulder. Her golden dress, covered in sequins, or maybe diamonds, shuffled a deck of cards. At the site of the cards, Katerina found herself smirking, matching the same expression on the woman across from her.

“Do you remember how to play poker?”

Katerina, legs unable to touch the floor, absentmindedly drummed her fingers, sparkly nail polish glinting in the sunlight, on the table top. “Five card draw?”

“Yes.”

“Yeppers.” But then Katerina frowned, looking for her pile of chips, or M&Ms, or anything else to bet with. “I can’t ante though.”

The woman smiled. “I’ll lend you a coin.”

Katerina took the golden coin excitedly. She held it in her hands. The metal was heavier than she expected. On one side it had a cornucopia. On the other, a skull glared back at her. Katerina didn’t want to give it up. But she looked across at where the woman was shuffling the cards. She couldn’t give up a bet, either.

“Ante up.”

The coin went in the center of the table, all alone. Katerina frowned. But it didn’t take more than a few seconds for the woman to ante up as well. Soon she started dealing cards.

The first once she got was the King of Hearts. Always a good sign. Then the Queen of Spades. Next, the Queen of Clubs. Katerina smiled with excitement as her five cards were complete with the Jack of diamonds and 10 of diamonds. So close to a straight!

So close to a straight. Katerina frowned. She wanted to keep the queens. She guaranteed herself at least a pair if she kept the queens. A pair wasn’t great but it was a safe bet. But she could also give up one of the queens. If she gave up a queen, and she got an ace, she’d almost certainly win. She bounced her legs off the wicker rocking chair as she tried to keep still. But if she gave up the queen and didn’t get an ace…

“Katerina.”

She glanced up.

The woman’s smile had faded. Her brown eyes flecked with amber never blinked. “Don’t hesitate.”