Chapter 7

Ishaan and Jiya climbed a small hill in the Kupwara forest and sat down to catch some air

"We will have to go downhill towards the river bank and then keep going until we find a way to reach Srinagar."

"We are at least 100 km away from Srinagar.." Jiya wondered frightfully. Ishaan looked at her, holding her shoulders, as he spoke. "We just need to get a bit far away from them and then hitch a ride back, or I can call the backup... once we get the signal." He noted pulling out his cell phone.

Realizing she was tired, he sighed. "We can rest here a few more minutes."

"Where did all the weapons come from Ishaan?" Jiya asked meekly.

He exhaled a long breath, "It's a safe house... Aman had got an undercover assignment and he was busy prepping for that when I went away for vacation. What I can guess is, that he bought this place as a safe house to stash weapons in case of an emergency. Unfortunately, he died before he could start the assignment. I have no idea what it's about or where... It will be a forever mystery."

It took Jiya a while to digest the information, and when she did she bit her lips, "And here I thought it was a cabin for our vacation. What if that Aunt who keeps the place clean found out?"

Ishaan laughed, "Trust me she wouldn't know to look under the rugs or behind the kitchen cabinets for secret closets. It was all strategically planned."

Jiya nodded feeling a little unsettled. She looked down at the cabin. The first rays of the sun were clouded by huge fog, forming a canopy over the cabin and the area around it.

"Who else knows about this place?" Ishaan asked after a thought crossed his mind.

Jiya frowned, she was about to say No but something struck. "Raunak"

"Raunak?"

"When I found out about this place, I got lost finding the right route. So I once brought Raunak along. He didn't like the idea of having a vacation spot in such a remote location and that was it. But, he is harmless! After last night... I don't know what he may be thinking... He must be upset.." Jiya pondered, feeling guilty about her actions, however, Ishaan seemed sceptical.

Standing up, Ishaan walked a little away where he could see the cabin below them. The fog cleared up, giving him a good view of 7 men moving stealthily through the main door and the windows. They all had weapons aimed to shoot.

Jiya clutched Ishaan's arms in fear. When one of the men, opened the door, it exploded on his face and they started shooting at the cabin. "We gotta leave before they find us." Ishaan declared. Jiya gulped and nodded.

***

After navigating through the forest and hiking down to the river bank, Jiya and Ishaan found a small group of locals walking towards the main road for their daily work. Ishaan requested them if they could tag along and give them a lift on their way. When the signal was back on his cell phone, he requested a backup. Two of his officers were ready to pick them up from Zangam, a locality in the Baramulla district of Jammu & Kashmir.

Thankfully, the journey to Zangam went smoothly. Once the locals dropped them off, Ishaan found his officers waiting for him and Jiya by the road. "Captain!" The men greeted him.

"Let's head straight to Badami Bagh Cantonment," Ishaan ordered climbing into the army jeep with Jiya seated on the back seat with one officer, while Ishaan sat on the passenger seat.

"I will be dropping you off at your father's place." He informed Jiya, gazing at her through the rearview mirror. She nodded looking away.

***

"Jiya?" Amarjeet and Shilpa rushed to the living room the moment Ishaan brought Jiya home in the evening.

Jiya ran straight into her mother's embrace apologizing profusely and asking for a punishment that could correct all his mistakes.

"So what if I didn't birth you, I am your mother and I will always be," Shilpa said cupping her daughter's face and kissing her forehead. "You came to this world to be our Jiya. That's all you should know." Amarjeet mumbled with moist eyes.

Jiya hugged him, "I am sorry Dad. I am so sorry."

"Don't ever leave us like this ever again. Please! I almost died out of worry yesterday. I was shattered when you left. We thought... we lost you forever. We are still coming to terms with losing Aman, we can't lose you too sweetheart!" Amarjeet wrapped her in a tight embrace as she cried.

"I won't leave you guys! Ever." Jiya promised. Amarjeet kissed her head and wiped away her tears. Ishaan watched the family reunion with an overwhelming heart.

Amarjeet walked over to Ishaan with gratitude, "Thank you!"

"It's my duty... Sir!" Ishaan said. Amarjeet chuckled and pulled him in for a hug. "You have always made me proud. I was disappointed in you, very briefly but... that was only because I was worried you would do something like Aman did."

When Ishaan met his gaze, Brigadier looked tired but with a twinkle in his eyes. "Sorry, If I ever made you feel like I resented you. I wanted to say this many times in the last couple of months... But couldn't gather enough courage."

The Dhillons had a weird way of expressing their emotions. Like father, like daughter. Ishaan sighed. "It's okay, sir."