Chapter 4

Ishaan stood by the window gazing outside

Ishaan stood by the window gazing outside. The sun had long disappeared leaving behind the heaps of snowflakes to pour down. With the current weather condition, there was no way he could take her back anytime soon. Thankfully he had called Brigadier earlier using his satellite phone to say that he found Jiya and would bring her back the next day.

Glancing back at her, he found her sleeping peacefully on the couch. Ishaan drew a long sigh. How long has it been since she exploded into his life? 10 years, yeah, it had been more than a decade.

For most of the initial years, Jiya was nothing but his best friend's sister who was hell-bent on making him the victim of all her pranks. At first, Ishaan had no idea why he was being subjected to her creative experiments. Once, during a Diwali break he spent at Dhillon's house, she had set his room on fire by lighting up a series of crackers, making him dash out like his tail on fire. She had even mixed laxatives in his coffee and successfully botched the weekend trip, Aman had planned for himself and Ishaan. Eventually, when Ishaan recovered, Aman let Jiya tag along. The triumphant smile on Jiya's face was unnerving.

"I am his little sister. He should only be best friends with me! I won't let you steal him from me." She had told Ishaan and given him the reason behind all her antics around him.

It wasn't until, Ishaan had once saved Aman's life during a mission, Jiya had finally warmed up to him. "You all think Aman is a strong, courageous warrior. But only I know, he is a big fat teddy bear! He is an emotional fool and it pains me to think that someday, he is going to use his emotions instead of his brains and will hurt himself, But.. Now.. I don't have to worry. He has you Ishaan." That's how she stepped into his heart and sat down royally on a high pedestal.

That was almost 8 years ago. Life had changed drastically since then.

If there was one thing that hadn't changed was, Ishaan always lost in front of her. No amount of training could ever help in outsmarting her. Not because he couldn't, because he didn't want to. Every time she smiled with glee when she thought she had him, it would warm his heart. There was nothing in this world, he wouldn't give to see her smile like that.

The more he wandered down the lanes of Jiya's smiles the more he found himself losing. She was never going to be his, was she?

"Ishaan? What are you thinking?" Her hoarse voice shook him out of his thoughts. Clearing his throat, he sauntered over to the sofa opposite hers and plopped down. "Nothing."

He had a promise to keep, to take her back home safely. It wouldn't be easy, of course. Even if he had to throw her over his shoulders and take her back, he would. That mere thought invited goosebumps on his body. Ishaan drew a sharp breath.

"I know what you are thinking." She said narrowing her eyes.

Ishaan's eyes widened, "You do?"

"You are thinking you could convince me somehow to take me back, right? It's not going to happen, don't bother."