Chapter 12

Shu's Pov

'You should go see my grandpa he's the real expert on stuff like this.' Xander's words from yesterday repeated through my mind. I looked out the window and saw the sun slowly emerging through the mountains. Faint noises of breaths were heard and I looked towards my left shoulder. Y/n who was dozing off next to me. I guided her head on my uninjured shoulder. She was insistent on going with me so early. I sighed and waited for the train to take us to the next stop. Suddenly the words Mal said invaded my mind.

'𝑳𝒖𝒊 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒄𝒓𝒐𝒔𝒔 𝒑𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒔 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒐 𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈. 𝑰 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝑳𝒖𝒊𝒏𝒐𝒓 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒌.'

Is that why you're hair is white, Mal? Did that tyrant hurt you? What exactly happened with you and Lui? Many questions were running through my head like a whirlwind, "Shu?" Mal called out to me. I turned to her to see that she still looks to be sleepy, "Sorry I was just thinking anyway how was your sleep? I'm sorry for dragging you all the way here early in the morning." I said. Mal yawned softly and shook her head before laying it on my shoulder once more, "It was me who wanted to come in the first place but also you seem out of it are you nervous to find out the condition of your shoulder?" She asked me.

Shaking my head sideways and mustered up the courage to say this, "I was just wondering what happened between you and Lui Shirosagi?" I questioned. Mal inhaled sharply, "I guess you have the right to know since you are no different from me but it's a long story are you sure you want to hear it?" She says. I nodded and Mal sighed once more, "Shu you see Lui and I weren't always enemies we actually used to be each other only friends. We used to have a friend named, Aaron. At the time Aaron was the National Champion of New York and not to mention an amazing blader. Suddenly Aaron's health turned for the worst and didn't just want to forfeit his title, so Nationals was held early. I had made it to the finals and managed to win against him. Aaron was proud of me and told me that if there was anyone he wanted to become the next champion was me. After the announcements, the ambulance came to Aaron who had passed out due to exhaustion. He had to be hospitalized but it wasn't long until he passed away. Everyone but my family grew distant from me. Lui had called me a few days before he was going back to Japan. I had thought he wanted to hang out until he leaves but he had challenged me and in the process, broke Mirinai..." She finished her story.

Small tears were gathering up in her eyes, "The utter betrayal I felt when he left me at the park clutching my bey in the winter. There were even rumors that the only reason I became champion was because of Aaron's illness, so in the past 3 years I had trained to my limits to show them, to show everyone that I was worthy of being New York's National Champion and that I can finally get back at Lui." Mal looked back at me and smiled solemnly. "Then that's how my hair became the same shade as the snow I cried on that day," Mal said, "You know I knew of you, Shu. You were the blader who faced off against him last year but in the end, you also became a victim of his." she lifted my hair to reveal my scar.

Mal caressed it, "Sometimes I wondered what if it was me who had gotten this scar? I'm sure I would have cowered in fear, but you Shu you had gotten yourself back up in one year. It just goes to show exactly how strong you truly are." She chuckled. I grabbed her hand surprising Mal in the process, "You're strong too Mal. I have never seen anyone blade like you. If it weren't for you I might have lost in the semi-finals against you. So don't ever give yourself the short end of the stick." I told her. Mal's expression was baffled but quickly turned into a smirk. Mal raised her head and planted a kiss on my cheek.