14. The junkyard

"Hey how come no one woke me up?" Lori said walking into the kitchen. She looked at the clock and it read 11:00.

"Oh well we'd thought we'd give you the day off. Plus wills not feeling well so he's getting the day off" Joyce explained

"Is everything okay?"

"I'm not sure. I've been trying to get Hop all day but he won't answer" she put down the phone.

"Hey mom?" Will said walking into the kitchen. A towel was tied around his waist, obviously about to go into the bath.

"Yes sweetie what is it?" Joyce spun around

"It's too hot."

Joyce and Lori followed Will into the bathroom. All the bath water was slowly going down the drain. Joyce dipped her hand in to test the temperature. "I can cool it down a bit but we need to get your body temp back up baby."

"No." Will said, almost aggressively.

"What?" Joyce and Lori looked at the boy.

"He likes it cold." Will walked into his room and closed the door, leaving the two ladies stunned.

*:・゚✧*:・

"Hello?" Jim hoppers voice came from the front door.

"Leave it open!" Joyce yelled back. Her and Lori walked from the kitchen to the living room in their coats. "Where the hell have you been?"

"I overslept. What the hells going on? It's freezing."

"You think we don't know that!" Lori hissed signalling to their coats. Joyce started walking down the hall, signalling for him to follow her which they did. They walked to wills room. Lori left and went into her own room to do some homework while Joyce and Will explained everything to hopper.

*:・゚✧*:・

Later that evening, Lori was helping piece together these tunnels that Will was drawing when she heard her radio buzzing. She ran into her room.

"Lori do you copy?" Dustins voice came through it.

"Yeah I copy, what's up?"

"Listen I know you're probably not in the mood right now but any chance you could come over. It's a code red."

"Umm, I don't know it's late."

"Right yeah shit. Okay first thing tomorrow then. At 10:00 okay?"

"Okay..? But Dustin, is everything okay?"

"Yeah yeah. Can't talk. Got to go bye."

"What? Dustin? Hello?"

No reply.

*:・゚✧*:・

The next day, Lori got up, ate breakfast and cycled to Dustin's, much to Joyce's disapproval. Thankfully she was distracted by Will or Lori never would've gotten away. Dustin was waiting for her at the end of his driveway.

"Where's Will?"

"He's uh, not feeling up to it I guess."

"Right yeah. Let's go."

"What Dustin? What's going on?"