GIRLFRIENDS: NOW Scene 9

Scene 9: The camera pans in Joan's Mercedes SUV as she sits with Maya parked in the driveway of Maya's house. Joan takes out her phone and retrieves a text as Maya gathers her purse.

Joan: (putting her phone back into her clutch) Maya, I'm gonna run to the J-Spot to meet with William for a min to go over some details about the new restaurant. Can you keep Karolyn for a few mins? I'll come by for her in about an hour. 

Maya: (eyeing Joan suspiciously) You are meeting William or meeting Todd?

Joan: (slightly frustrated) Maya, no. I'm meeting William. I just need to go over a few details and since Monica is visiting her sister who just had surgery, I can have William's undivided attention. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Monica, but she was a nightmare when we opened the NYC J-spot. 

Maya: (eyeing suspiciously again) Hmmm... If you say so. Listen, I'm going to just say this, if Todd called you, something is not right, Joan.

Joan: (slightly angered) Maya, then if you want to know so bad, you call Toni! I'm done. I just can't do it, Maya! I can't! (Pause - catches her breath) Maya, I just have too much of my own drama happening right now. (grabs the steering wheel and begins to breathe and her hands begin to shake)

Maya: (reaching over to Joan) Ok. Ok. I hear you, girl. Go ahead and meet with William and we will talk later. See you in an hour. 

Maya exits the car and goes inside the house. The camera pans Joan's car as Joan takes her phone out and sends Aaron a text message. The camera shows Joan's phone and her typing a text message to Aaron that reads:

Text Message: "Hey, babe. I'm going to run to the J-spot to meet with William for a few mins. Karolyn is still at Maya's and I'll only be gone another hour. Love you!"

Joan's phone pings a text message response from Aaron:

Text Message: "No prob. Be safe, babe. Love you and see you both in an hour."

Joan puts her phone back into her purse and pulls out of Maya's driveway.  End Scene.