Chapter Fifteen - Evil Eyes

((A/N Trigger Warning of bullying and  slurs))

Monday, the first school day after Halloween, after Hunter and I became a couple. He had stayed the night with me again and borrowed another outfit for the day. We didn't act too much different from our normal selves, though I noticed him pull away from holding my hand around the gym. I started to notice him not holding my hand as much around other students, especially the ones who like to bully. I didn't want to think too much about it, or worry it meant something deeper, even if I should have.

At lunch I brought money to buy food, and I planned to buy Hunter some as well. I was in line, I figured I would buy whatever he may like and meet him at the table. As I waited in line I felt hands shove me forward.

"Hey there weirdo," Skip chuckled. "Or should I call you freak? Fairy?" he laughed a bit more. I could see Hunter approaching and I was glad I wouldn't be alone at least as he walked over.

"Fuck off Skip," I groaned as Hunter came over to me.

"You okay?" he asked as I started to get up.

"Aww how cute, got a f*g boyfriend now too," Skip teased. I saw Hunter's face go red as he backed up a bit and stayed silent. "Am I right? You two finally dating?" Hunter looked to me before back at Skip, I stayed quiet to see if he would say anything. I watched as Hunter slightly shook his head but stayed quiet.

I got up the rest of the way and ran past both of them to go to the bathroom, I ran into the single person neutral bathroom, slowly it became a place all to myself. I locked the door and leaned my back against it before sliding to the ground. Why would he stay quiet? Why back away and not even help me up after being called out. Was he, ashamed? Fuck him. Fuck this school, and fuck me for thinking things would be different here. I felt tears forming in my eyes before I put my sleeve covered hand over my mouth and screamed. The tears began to flow as well and I cried into both my hands on the floor.

The rest of the day I avoided Hunter, which wasn't hard when I left my classes early and skipped my locker. Though when the day came to an end and I made my way out to the van, Hunter was there waiting already.

"Max," he started but I held up my hand.

"Save it, I see how you feel now."

"No, I, I didn't mean to."

"Stop, I don't care. I'm going home, you can go with Kevin or walk home, I don't care." I pushed past him and climbed into the front of the van.

"But Max, please, I really want to," I cut him off

"Please, just.. Stop, let me cool down at least," I snapped before starting the van and driving away. I felt tears forming once again, I really didn't want to lose him, but I also felt so mad now that the initial shock and sorrow passed. Now I wanted to hurt his feelings so badly. Instead, I locked myself up in my room and listened to music in bed.