Chapter 40

Aaron's POV

The early morning birds started chirping on the big tree outside the large window to my right. In the middle of the large room, the only sound invading my silence was machines connected to Aisha. The beep, and the laboured drag of breath she was having.

Turning my face toward Aisha, the four sky-blue walls stared back at me along with the soul-eating silence and beeping sound of machines attached to her wrists and chest. My eyes landed on her face, body covered in a white blanket and a hospital gown. A couch was placed across her left side, at the far corner of the wall. I had not rested since yesterday... since she passed out in front of me with blood coming down from her nose.

I came back to her as fast as I could, handing over Rahul to Mark who was just on his way when I reached the exit. I ran toward her like my left dependent on it. But, when I saw her coming down the stairs of the plane, she was weak. So weak that her entire body was shaking. One moment she looked at me with that smile... that smile which said millions of unspoken words.

Looking at her bruises and pale face, pained me physically. Though I wanted to cry, but I knew deep down that she would be okay. She promised to stay in Paris forever if I help Rahul first. Didn't she? And then I would have a lifetime to make her realise the love between us.

I walked toward her bed, sitting to the right side as the doctor came in for the regular checkup. Followed by mom with food in her hands, and some clothes.

"How is she?" I asked, Noah, the doctor taking care of Aisha.

"I am afraid I don't have an answer to that question. Her vitals are still low and we don't know how long she is going to stay in a coma."

Mom came behind, her hand on my shoulder. I sighed as I grabbed Aisha's hand in mine, the coldness of her body shifting something warm inside me. "Then wake her up," I whispered.

"It is not that simple Mr McOwen. Especially in her case. She had a high dosage of cocaine in her system which took us nearly ten hours to take out. On top of that, she experienced one minor and one major heart attack in two days. Once she waked up, we will have to see if her heart needs Stents or not. And that totally depends on how willing she is to wake up. It is beyond medicines and our control."

I closed my eyes as I took a deep breath. Tilting my head up to look at the doctor. "How long can she take to wake up?"

I felt mom rubbing my back in soothing touches, sending waves after waves of calmness over my shoulder.

"We cannot say. It can last from a few days to a few months. Though, I am afraid if it stays for months, we will have to ultimately declare her brain dead." Noah said.

My jaw clenched so hard that I might break my teeth. The tug in my heart grew to an unbearable level of pain.

"Thank you, just make sure you do your duty to save her and Rahul," Mom said.

Noah nodded and checked Aisha;'s file for a couple of minutes before heading off to other patients. Rahul has been admitted to the next room, and he was unconscious too. Though doctors said that one bullet passed through the skin and another did a vital damage to the liver, there were chances to regain his composure. He would be fine.

The only one who was not yet awake and fine was Aisha.

"Why have you not eaten your food, Aaron?" Mom asked as she unpacked the food she bought.

"I was not hungry," I said, rubbing my fingers at the back of Aisha's palm.

"Aaron, baby, take a nap or something. You can't stay awake and take care of her. Your body needs rest. Come on, sit on the couch." Mom said.