Chapter 4 Completing the promise

Hope you guys would finally be happy...

THIRD PERSON POV.

Dev came to the dressing room with his helmet and bat in hand. His coaches and teammates were giving a tap on his back as he walked. It was another thriller and deciding T20 match between Sri Lanka and India which India won. It was the fifth and the last match of the series and winning this match made India win the series by 3-2.

It was a baller's pitch and the wickets were falling quite quickly but Dev took it up and stood like a rock at one side. He batted till the end of the match and made sure India won. He later won Man of the Match and also Man of the series.

The papers were always filled with headlines like Unstoppable or Destructive Devdutt Padikkal. For the world Dev seemed like a batsman who was hard to beat. He looked so confident and at ease when he used to bat. The determination in his eyes whenever he played a shot was remarkable. He had become the supreme and simply invincible.

But it was all for the outer world. When he was off field he looked someone who had lost everything in his life. As they won the series Ishan and Shubhman said they are going outside to celebrate and invited Dev as well. Dev knew it meant going to a pub or dinner or something like that and Dev was not interested at all. The loud noise was too much for him, not to mention all the girls who approached him there.

Dev had completely lost his appetite for relationships or anything related to women. As he said before his mind, his body, his soul yearned only for one girl. He had all those desires for only one girl. He didn't even have felt like talking to another girl, anything else was beyond question. He just craved for her touch, her hair, her fingertips, her hands, her scent, her skin, her lips; they were the things which drove him crazy and he was convinced no one else would even come close to her.

When the day ended and everybody was going back to the hotel he was going to her apartment. He remembered when he showed his man of the match award to Radhika in Australia. He had scored a century there so he won the award and after coming back to the hotel he had shown the award to her like a proud child. He cannot ever forget the way she held that award with one of the biggest smiles on her face. His heart skipped a beat at that moment.

He reached her apartment and placed another of his awards in front of her photo with a smile on his face. He sat down on the floor and said "Two more in the list Radhi. Are you proud of me?" He sat in silence for sometime but then chuckled and got up. He looked at the photo and said "Aaj bhi answer to nahi karogi na tum?" He smiled sadly and went to her bedroom.

He saw Bunty, her teddy bear sitting on one of the shelves as he walked into. There were numerous times when he used to get jealous of him as he would get all the cuddles when Dev was away. "Do you miss her as well?" Dev asked Bunty. He himself said after a while "Because I do, a lot." He didn't have any words or tears to say further. It had been around 9 months without her in his life and now he was tired.

He was tired of leading a life without her beside. He wanted this nightmare to end. He used all of his words to call her back, all types of pleads and all types of tears. He laid down on her bed hugging one of the pillows. Her scent was long gone from them yet they were the most comfortable as it was something used by her. He slept off in her memories, with a hope that he would atleast get to meet her in his dreams.

The next day the ICT were all ready to leave for their respective cities as they had a break of one week after which they were supposed to go to Ireland for their next series. Rahul Dravid went to Dev's room in the morning and as he expected his room was empty. As much as he liked and appreciated the fact that Dev loved his daughter so much he was also not in favour of how Dev was handling the situation.