Chapter 16:

My head's throbing when i open up my eyes to start off the day. It's the last day of school for us till the next semester and i plan on spending atleast one full day with Jala, that's if her parents do agree to it.

Pete spent the night with us but slept on the sofa because he didn't want to share a bed with either of us. He said, "Nah. Ion want to trouble you guys...I'll just sleep on the sofa." I actually gave him one of my blankets and a pillow out of pity, i can't deny the fact that it gets really cold and uncomfortable if one sleeps on the sofa for a night over here.

Right now he's in the kitchen, trying to impress mom with his cooking while she sits at the dining table waiting for him. "Morning mom, morning Pete." I greet and take an apple as usual. "Riley, where were you last night?" She asks as i join at her at the table, "I was there...at the backyard with everybody else."
"You did dissapear at some point though, right Pete?" Pete looks back at us holding out his hands, "Don involve me...ion know nothin'." A smirk appears on my face as mom rolls her eyes at him. He's going to be a great dad.

Breakfast is finally infront of me, ready to be eaten. Every now and then mom looks at her ring, smiles then looks at Pete which is a bit wierd for me. "Uhm...i gotta get to school..."
"Yeah, sure." Mom says as i stand up and leave for school.

Just a few minutes i saw Jala looking up at my room trying to communicate something which I'm guessing was her father taking her to school today. I go back inside the house, feeling a bit stupid, "Pete, can you drive me to school?" He stares back at me before he agrees and starts his car.

"How do you feel?"
"About?"
"Me becoming your stepfather." He takes a right turn and looks straight up ahead. "Fine, i guess." I shrug and sit up straight on the passenger seat. "I'm a bit excited and a little bit anxious...i mean i haven't had someone to call father in ages." I joke and notice he didn't find it funny as funny as i did so i stop laughing. "Sorry." I apologise as he pulls over just outside the school premises.
"Riley, I've never had kids or been with them but i promise I'll try be...a proper father." There's silence until he says, "If you don't like me...tell me and your mom, or if something goes wrong...tell us. I'm here for you." I've seen this in the movies and usually the guy who says this has evil intentions but coming from Pete, it sounds more truthful and trustworthy. So i nod while smiling back at him and say, "See you soon future stepdad."

4pm

The day has gone by so quickly today at school but fortunetly i had talked to Jala a bit during our biology class and just before her father's car pulled up infront of us after school. Nicholas and i have talked a bit more than we did yesterday which I'm really quiet not sure if i should be happy about or worried about.

I open up the front door after i get of Pete's car once again today. He didn't follow me in because he's dealing with  big case so he's spending more time in his office this week. Pete and i had gone for lunch, after school, then played a few games at his house -turns out he's better at playing on a play station than mom is.

Mom's inside her study reading Teri Terry's third book of the her book series -shattered, is the name on the book. "How was your afternoon?"
"Great! Got to learn a lot about Pete while over at his place."
Suddenly there's a knock at the door which mom answers. Dave's at the door with some documents in his hands, "may i come in?" He pleads so mom let's him in and closes the door once he's in. "Joey...Riley, this is a copy of my will. Probably shouldn't be showing you all these but..."
"No, it's fine. What's the reason of your visit again?" Mom snaps taking a seat on a sofa from the side opposite where he was seated. "50% of all my property goes to Riley." He pauses, "My house, my business, the farm...all 50%... to him." He takes off his spectacles and scans my face for any expressions. "You should all know that you're welcome to any of these...when i die, one day, Riley would be the shareholder with more shares in the business therefore he'll have a money source even after I'm really gone for good. And Ofcoarse you'll benefit from it aswell." He looks at mom.

"Why are you doing all of this?" Dave gets up from the sofa and boldly states, " For my son...and you. I feel guilty for leaving him behind and it's  as simple as that." He turns to the door and walks out the house.
Mom looks back me with her hand on her chest to control the feeling of confusion mixed with shock that seemed to slowly overcome her. Now i was sure she really knew Dave was hiding something...like the fact that he's dying soon.

I'm on Instagram as @thatonegurlyk. Install the app to follow my photos and videos. https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?utm_source=ig_contact_invite&utm_medium=user_system_sheet&utm_content=lzbkn0m