Chapter 12:

My morning was quiet normal until Jala suggest we ride our bikes to school together. Her mother was just chilled about and even waved us goodbye when we began paddling. "Are things ok at home?"
"Yeah, why asking?" I lie and say, "Nah, Just asking. Your mom seemed quiet nice...not strict like how I've known her..."
"Have you been stalking me or something?" She jokes as we take a right turn. "Maybe." I smile back at her and wonder if she's avoiding the question since she hasn't answered me yet.

By the time we reach school, we've talked a lot about how crazy everything is lately but she still hasn't really answered my question so i just go along with it and pretend i forgot i ever asked the question. Her friends come over to her as soon as she enters the school premises with me beside her, "Guys, meet Riley." I get a few innocent smiles while Jala checks her bag for something. I'm looking around the school looking for Brad and Marcus, the guys who had teased me last time stalking Jala got a bit out of hand.

Once Jala's friends are gone she puts a necklace around my neck with a 'J' on it. She takes out the one she had already been wearing and holds it out so i can see the 'R' on it. "R for Riley and J for Jala." I say once i get that the letters are our initials. Her eyes remain hot on mine as if she wants to say something but she doesn't say anything still but instead places her hand in mine and drags me trhough the hallway. All eyes are on us and the more i keep my eyes low the more whispers i hear after we walk past a pair or group of students.

"Jala..."
"Shhh! " she snaps and watches as Brad and his group of friends come over. Brad's attention is on the hand that's holding on so tight to Jala's so i tighten my grip to try push the anger within him to a higher level. He looks back at Jala, "Brad, i would really apreciate it if you'd support  Riley and i's friendship." She says and turns to her locker to get her textbooks.

I remain staring at the group of boys and notice Nicholas staring back at me in shock. His eyes are a raging fire so i look away and bring my attention back on Jala trying to pretend i didn't see the pain his eyes. "I'm going for the first lesson."
"Alrighty! See you soon, right?" I nod and walk to where my next lesson is held. I am having English Literature where literally Brad, his friends and Nicholas are.

When i open the door i try to find an empty chair and they're only two left -one is next to Brad and one next to Nicholas. I make my move swiftly and sit next to Brad, eyeing Nic's reaction. I can see him staring at me in disbelief with the corner of my eye so i take out my books and settle while he watches. The teacher walks in and introduces today's discussion and Brad's surprisingly sitting quietly next to me throughout the whole lesson. No sound, no movement, just seated.

It's not long till the lesson is over. I attempt to leave but stop upon hearing my name being called, it's Brad. "Mind if we talk?" He says still seated on his chair, "uhm...i don't mind." Now he stands up and walks towards me and hugs me with one of his arms. "She's a keeper. Don't ditch her or break her heart or else...I'll be forced to break you." He smirks, probably hoping i do any of those he just mentioned and walks out of the classroom,  leaving me on my own.

As the day keeps going, i realise Nicholas isn't anywhere to be seen. He probably went back home or something or hanging out with his real friends...it really doesn't bother me anymore. I'm also making friends too, just with Jala's friends. The minute i got into the cafeteria area, was the minute i was invited to their table. At first it was cool and when it got a bit wierd, Jala would hold on my hand.
Maybe she is the one. A true keeper. She's just beautiful in her own way which makes her even more attractive. Her kindness and warm heart...sometimes i think it's because she's a true Christian who believes in Jesus and all. It suits her.

Joey's POV

Lately, Riley has been acting differently from the time he had that fight with Nicholas. I can't even concentrate anymore, I'm still stressed about how Dave simply just left the idea of having full custody over Riley. Sometimes i think maybe if Dave did have Riley from the very beginning, he probably would have had a great life like Tony does.

"You ok?" Pete asks as he joins me at the table I'm seated at. "Sorryy. I'm ok." I say looking around the cafè we are in. It goes silent for a few minutes until Tony also comes over and joins our table. Once he's seated, Pete starts a conerstation claiming that Manchester united has no way of winning 2022's premier league. I'm not a Manchester united fan so i keep out of it. "Mom, Which team do you support?" Did he say ...mom? I glare at him in shock before i say, "Man city fan." He nods 'fairs' and goes back into talking to Pete.once Pete's gone back to work,
Tony tells me about how he's struggled without me around then tells me about Maria. " Maria...i honestly never liked her."
"How come? She's sweet, nice and apperently everything i couldn't be." He checks the cafè to see if anyone's looking, "She's ill. In the head. "
"What? What do you mean?" I whisper to him, leaning in close so i can hear him.
"I don't know what it is exactly but she's spent two years at a mental asylum." I cup my mouth still in shock, "She's a psycho?"
A smile appears on his face as we move back to sit up straight on the chair. "Yep. She's a godamn psycho." He chuckles as a beam appears on my face.
It's not funny but just how i got to connect with him over it, gets me.

Riley's P0V

After school Jala and i hit the park. "Wanna study?"
"I'm exhausted so, no way I'm doing that." I cry as we settle on a bench. She takes out her bible and a blue coloured journal. "Fine. Can i teach you something i learnt in the bible?" She asks and i feel something deep within me sink to the very bottom. I haven't been to church or ever really talked to God ever since i started loosing hope about ever seeing Dave, which is probably about 7years ago.

"Ok. Let's learn." I say as i take out a spare book and a pen to note down whatever it is she'll say next.
"John 6 versus 7 says ' Do not work for food that spoils. Work for food that lasts forever. That is the food the son of man will give you. God the father has put his seal of approval on him.' Right." She pauses and opens up her journal, " what the verse is basically saying is work on your relationship with God for he offers eternal food, water and life." I note that down." You shouldn't care or worry about what this world has or how everything is soo...you know, interesting. Work on your relationship with God, believe in him , trust him, put your faith upon him and you will get eternal life. Get it?"
"Yeah." I say after quickly scribling down what she had just said. "What?"
"God's going to bring peace in your family that's if you put you just put your faith on him. He knows your strugling...he needs you to just say it loud and clear to him then trust that he's going to make things better."
"Preach!" I tease.After a while, I hold out my arms, " God, i surrender all my problems. Please help..."
"No! Not like that silly." She rolls her eyes and forces me to pray.

After i am done praying, she packs up and packs up my bag while I've gone into the park looking for a recycle bin. Suddenly i bump into Nicholas with a girl beside him. She's one of those girls from school with dark hair and super light eyes, "Is this what you missed half of your day at school for?"
"Stay out of my business..." Jala shows up behind me, " Riley let's just go." She bluntly says as she takes my hand, leading  me away from the couple.

"Don't worry. Nicholas is just trying to hide his pain...it's like he wants you to feel the pain he feels when you're with me." She explains as i put my bike beside my house. "And how do you know?"
"I grew up with 2 brothers and 4 older male cousins...i bassically know y'alls nature." She smirks and hugs me goodbye. I watch as she gets inside her house and i get in my house. Mom's with Tony in the garage, i can hear them laughing about something going wrong so i go to the garage to join them.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself."
"Just helping mom him with this car." He pats mom's upbeat car and opens up the bonnet. Mom's watching him closely as he keeps tempering with some things in the car's engine.
"Imma grab a snack." I say and head to the kitchen thinking about how today's been a mess. From walking through the halls with Jala's hand in mine, to getting a warning from Brad, to bumping into Nicholas...i bet he's enjoying himself.

Truth be told, i can't keep worrying about a person who clearly enjoys spending more time with his temporary friends than he's only true friend...wait, i don't even think he'll ever want to be friends with me. I should've noticed a long time ago that the reason he became my friend was because i was no serious competition.
It's not going to be easy accepting him again after what he said about Jala the other time, personally. All i want to know is how long he'll keep up with this.

Soorryy for the typos in the past chapters...and i hoep y'all enjoy the book so far. And Ofcoarse the quotes aswell:)

I'm on Instagram as @thatonegurlyk. Install the app to follow my photos and videos. https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?utm_source=ig_contact_invite&utm_medium=user_system_sheet&utm_content=lzbkn0m