Chapter 29:

It's around 6pm now and Nicholas still hasn't knocked at the door of my house. Maybe he's forgotten the way here?

No. He would've asked.

Maybe he isn't interested in fixing the relationship we had as much as i do.

I rub my temple in utter confusion, not noticing Pete walk into the kitchen right when i swear under my breathe. "You good?" My head snaps to his direction then slowly back down again while i figure out what to say to him. "Nic was supposed to come over." Pete totally understands the fact that i am not like other kids and all so he tries to control his facial expression before he says, "wow, I'm sure he had...stuff to do."

There's silence as Pete digs into the refrigerator looking for some sort of snack. "I don't know what to do. Mind helping me think?"
"Do what about what?" His eyes stay locked on mine as he gets his snack and closes the refrigerator door behind him after he turns to face me.

"Should i keep trying to restore the friendship Nic and i once had?"
"It depends. For example- if you really...uhm... think he's still not...a good friend, then you could... cut him off?i don't know . But let's say..."

*The doorbell rings *

Thank God the doorbell rings because i had no idea Pete was so bad at giving normal advice compared to giving legal advice. I didn't want to seem rude and say something like 'you know what i am good' or 'thanks' even though i know it wouldn't help.
He was just basically saying what i know  and what i have analysed about the situation.

Mom answers the door way before we even make it through the kitchen door. I can hear a low conversation between her and whoever's at the door.
"Riley. Nic's here!" Mom leads him into the house as she sticks her head into every room between the kitchen and the living room, pretending to look for me.

When they finally reach us, Pete shakes his hand and makes small talk with him. "Right, Pete i wanted to show you something." Mom takes Pete's hand and leads him to their room.
"Sorry I'm late. Forgot i had to see my psychologist. And it took longer than expected."

Well that's convenient.

"Yeah..sure. This way." I lead him to my room and when we enter it, he strolls over to a nearby chair on which he sits on next. "I'm so fucking tired."
"Why? I mean...what's made you so tired?"
"I've been thinking of a way to apologise to Cassie for what i did. I'm tired and sick of feeling so guilty." He does look exhausted as he rubs his eyes and looks back up at me. "Is there a way i can help?"
He covers his face with both his hands and after a while of holding that position i hear i tiny groan escape through his mouth.

Is he crying?

Oh no. Oh no no no.

I slowly take steps back, determined not to watch Nic breakdown again but for some reason, my legs stop taking more steps backwards and instead, take steps towards him. I place my hand on him.

" I don't know how to comfort you but i hope this will do." He doesn't say a word so i keep my hand there and listen for anything that might show that he's done crying.

For a guy like Nicholas to come all this way to share his deepest feelings to that point...is something truly big.
I guess, He still takes me as a close friend.

"I'm a disappointment. A big one. I failed as a friend.  A son...i don't even know why I'm still walking on this earth." He sniffs and digs for something in his pocket.
"Give this to her." He hands me a folded paper which I'm guessing is an apology letter. So I just take it with no intentions of ever opening it or reading it.

"I'm sorry i...came all this way..."
"It's ok. That's what friends are for." I say as i open up the front door for him, while having a sickening feeling that i actaully said that and lead him outside the house. "I'm sorry for not being able to be a proper friend."
"You're forgiven, ok. Just stop asking for forgiveness so much or else I'll have to change my mind." He chuckles and brings me in for a hug.

Once his car pulls away from our driveway, i look back at the piece of paper in my hand and remember i still haven't talked to Jala.

"Hey mom, i making it early to bed tonight so..."
"Alright, alright. But tommorrow morning breakfast...you'll have to eat that." She states with one of her dead serious faces as i head for my room again. I lock the door when I'm sure no ones coming here uninvited just incase someone does decide to come over. Uninvited.

I take out my phone, search for her number and wait as her phone begins to ring.

...
...
...

"Hello? "
"Uhm...hey, hi- Is this Jala.."
"Riley, is that you!?" She didn't even let me finish my sentence but a smile creeps up my face as she starts blabbering and chattering about how it's been for her without me ever since she's moved to The Big City.

It's only after about thirty minutes when she realises she's talked so much and hasn't given me a chance to say a single phrase atleast.
The next thirty minutes are dedicated to me. I talk about the stuff that's been happening...stuff like Nic and Cassie and my friendship with Brad, Dave's death and i actually put more emphasis on the part when Maria went totally crazy.

"I miss you...like a lot." She whispers after a long stretch of silence. "Same here."

There is silence again.

"Last time i went to your house, i wanted to ask you something."
"Ok. Go ahead." Her voice has a microscopic tremble as she says those words.
"I wanted to ask...if you'd like to be my girlfriend."

For a while ,she is so quiet i almost forget she's even on the other side of the phone call. "Jala?"
"Ofcourse i would...i mean. Yeah. I do want to be your girlfriend." She titters and after blushing for a while she starts on another topic.

At one point we talked about how bible study has been going for each of us and she was actually quite impressed by the amount of information i now know.
"I love you and you know that, right?"
"Mmhhm. I know."
"Won't you say it back?"
"I will. When we meet up...like i wanna say it face to face, not over the phone."
Now I'm blushing.

Soon, we are planning on how to meet up according to the times we are free. Jala had suggested that she could try coming over, herself, instead of me going all the way there. It's a good idea, but i doubt her mother would allow her to come over.

"Don't you think it's a bit late?" It's around 1am now, "it is." She wishes me a goodnight and waits till i say it back then hangs up.

'Well that was fun'

I finally put the phone away and rest for a while on the bed, replaying the whole conversation in my head.
What a time to be alive.

I'm on Instagram as @thatonegurlyk. Install the app to follow my photos and videos. https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?utm_source=ig_contact_invite&utm_medium=user_system_sheet&utm_content=lzbkn0m