Brumous

The walk to the gardens was silent, the echoing tap of Hyacinth's heels in the halls being the only noise to break the tense, awkward quiet of the two students. She didn't know how to approach a conversation with the boy beside her. How does one hold a conversation with their former enemy? Were they still enemies? Hyacinth didn't know.

She wasn't one to let the silence grow too thick; however, finding it prickly and uncomfortable, she geared herself up to speak.

"What time are you due back to Hogwarts?" she asked, voice only slightly louder than that of her heels. Draco rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly before replying. 

"This way," he directed gently, turning one last corner before opening the doors to the gardens ", Dumbledore wants me to return before nine at the latest. I believe Severus has asked for a week's leave, so he should only be at Hogwarts for five days before we break up for Yule" he explained.

Hyacinth nodded absentmindedly as she took in the beautiful gardens around her. Flowers surrounded them; some she knew, most she didn't. The perfume scent of flowers overtook her senses, and she found herself drawn to one particular flower.

They grew in bell-shaped bunches, and dozens of purple, lavender and white flowers coated an entire section of the garden, spanning 10 to 15 feet

They grew in bell-shaped bunches, and dozens of purple, lavender and white flowers coated an entire section of the garden, spanning 10 to 15 feet. She gently touched one of the flowers, the petals soft and waxy beneath her touch. Draco quietly came to stand beside her. 

"I see you've taken to your namesake," he said, a chuckle behind his words.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"These are Hyacinthus, more commonly known by hyacinth," he said, noting the surprise behind her eyes. He gently placed her hand in the crook of his arm and directed her to a different section of the gardens.

These flowers were brighter than the hyacinth's; bright yellow transcended into a small section of blue which bled into a soft purple, fading into a pale purple at the edges

"These," he said ", are irises. I hear that your father insisted that Iris be your middle name since your mother got to choose your first."

Hyacinth took a moment to examine the irises, taking in its powdery floral scent. 

"What do they mean?" she asked, "I know that all flowers have meaning, but I'm not sure of them. I'd like to know the meaning behind my name. Maybe it would give me some insight into why my parents named me as they did."

Draco smiled and led her further into the gardens to a pond full of lily pads and water lilies; the whole scene was tied beautifully together by a weeping willow. 

He led her to a bench where the two sat and basked in the brisk early winter sun

"The hyacinth is the flower of the sun god Apollo and is a symbol of peace, commitment and beauty, but also of power and pride," he said, knowing the flowers' meanings due to his knowledge of potions. "An iris is more complicated as each colour has different meanings. The ones we have in the garden are symbols of faith and hope, but irises can symbolise courage, wisdom and admiration," he explained with Hyacinth's full attention.

Meanwhile, back in the Manor, Severus, Lucius, and Narcissa were conversing very tensely.

"I don't know how long she hasn't been eating Narcissa. I suspect it has something to do with those muggles. I have plans to bring a healer to see her; if I at least know what she is suffering with, I can help her," Severus stressed.

Narcissa nodded. "I will come to you later with a list of healers I know and trust," she said. Severus nodded in thanks.

"Are you sure going back to Hogwarts is wise, Severus?" Lucius asked. Severus shrugged.

"I don't have much choice in the matter. If I suddenly hand in my resignation, Dumbledore will start to suspect things," he explained, ignoring Narcissa's fake retching at Dumbledore's name.

Lucius smirked slightly, "I may have an idea; leave that to me," he said cryptically.