Chapter 5: Their Rise to Power (Marak)

For four days, I monitor the mine and its guards. Looking, prodding, finding any weaknesses that will make the takeover possible. Alex counts how many guards are in the mine itself, which can be confusing since those knife eared bastards are all so similar. From our estimates, there are between two hundred and three hundred guards in the mine.
I can hardly believe that at first. There are so few guards to actually guard the mine. However, it's small enough for us for when the time eventually comes.
But that isn't nearly as important as what Dust notices during his time on the surface. Their defences are pitiful, and their numbers are few. They clearly don't think we are a threat to them.
This is all the information I need. I have only told Alex and Dust the plan, while the other Dogs stood up to my defence will have to wait. I cannot risk the chance that one bastard will snitch on the plan. Today is supposedly the last day the forge workers would go to the surface. An opportunity I can't miss.
The plan is simple: start at the end of the mine and liberate my people from there, move to the entrance and spread out throughout the mine, catching any Cinari off guard while Dust takes the surface. While they could stop us in a single tunnel. I'd like to see them try holding off a horde of hundreds. Dust should be able to take over the surface and cut off their chances of escape. If all goes to plan, we'll have this mine in no time.

I head to the very end of the mine, with Alex right behind me. This uprising will get people killed, but I can't lose him. I'll keep an eye on him if things go sideways. Upon arrival at our destination, I grab a pickaxe as to signal Alex to push the mine cart. I deliberately chip a useless piece of rock and haul it into the mine cart. Working to keep suspicion away from us.
Alex pushes the cart off its tracks, making a loud crash. The guards rush over to the cart.
'I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it!' Alex lies.
The two guards look at him, one shrug in annoyance as he heads to Alex with a whip.
'It is a mistake, I swear!'
The guards move closer to Alex, standing directly behind me.
'You have three seconds to put that cart on it's tracks. Or I'll remove the skin from your back,' the guard demands.
Alex smiles. 'Sure you will.'
In one swift motion, I drive my pick into the guard's back. The back plate caves in as the pick pierces his armour and straight through his chest. The guard coughs out blood while he drops his whip.
My first Cinari kill. And it feels amazing!
I yank the pick off the first guard to face the other one. He faces me, his eyes open wide.
He raises his spear, and screams for me to stand down. Before he can call for help. I cut him off by grabbing his spear and cracking the pickaxe down the side of his body. His ribcage crunches and shatters as I lever the pick upwards. The body limps over. I try to get the pick out of him, but the handle breaks off.
The other Dogs in the tunnel look at me in horror. Even Alex seems surprised at the outcome.
'This ends here! They want us to work for their false Gods, their weak Empire. No! They murder our children, our lovers, and our families. And we get nothing in return! I say this ends now! We have to tools to and the strength to leave this hell that was created for us, but for that future to come into reality. We will have to fight our way through them. Come with me, and I will promise you a future we all deserve.'
The Dogs growl, bark and snarl in rage. They seize their picks, the guards' spears, and any other weaponry they can get their hands on.
They thirst for blood, with the anger they have held for their entire lives. Today they can finally unleash it on the bastards that wronged them.
This is our time, and the Cinari can't do a dammed thing about it.
I lead the charge, our momentum is nearly unstoppable. The force needed to break their defences.
Tunnel after tunnel. Dead guard after dead guard. We shatter their shield walls, ripping them apart as we free our fellow slaves. Sometimes the guards will try to escape and retreat from their post. Makes for easy pickings when they have their backs turned.
The thunderous roar of our wrath echoes through the mine, the blood-curdling screams of Cinari filth ringing alongside it. With every swing of my pick, every guard knocked down, it brings me a step closer to Balgazard.
The entrance of the mine is a chaotic battlefield by the time we get there. Pockets of guards trying to hold off waves of Dogs, but they are no match against our numbers.
On the ramp, Balgazard holds his ground with a small pocket of resistance. I move closer to where he is, determined to end that beast.
The guards are in a tight defensive position, keeping the Dogs away with their spears. Behind them stands a handful of Cinari with curved sticks with a piece of string between it. They launch miniature spears at us, striking down anyone that gets hit. I rush towards the Cinari in front of me, hitting their spear away as I pick another up by the torso. I use his body to bash through their pathetic line. We reach to the guards behind the spearmen, ripping them apart limb from limb.
As I go through them, I rush to the top of the platform to meet the monster himself. Our eyes lock onto each other, the eyes of a slave facing down the eyes of his former master.
Balgazard races to the edge of the ramp, waving his sword in front of me. I grab it by the blade while I punch him in the jaw, making him let loosen his grip of his sword as he falls to the ground. I throw the sword away as I stare down at the cowering creature.
He tries to crawl away from me, but I pick him up with my bloody hand to hang him over the edge of the platform. He stares at me with terror in his eyes, the expression of shock and fear.
'Please! Have mercy!' He weeps as tears fall from his face.
I glance around to find a noose already prepared. I pick up the noose and place it around his neck.
'By the Gods, please no, please give me mercy!' He begs.
I stare straight into his demonic eyes, one more time at the soulless monster he is. All I see is a pathetic man, a creature who only survives on tormenting others. This evil doesn't deserve mercy, only my wrath.
Without giving a reply, I throw him off the platform. As he falls, he flails his arms in a panic.
Snap!
The warden's body sways in the mine, the last guard slain. The Dogs look up and cheer, howling and applauding at his death. Down below, Dogs parade the bodies of Cinari around.
On the surface, the Dogs throw down body parts as they cheer for their success. I see Dust looking at me with a smile, he gives me the thumbs up.
For the first time, we celebrate. Celebrating our freedom.
But we are not done yet. I head to the warden's once private chambers. If we are going to keep our freedom, we need to prepare for them to retaliate.