Chapter 32: New Defences (Volas)

It has been two days since we got news from Bunker Hill. There have been rumours about what happened there, each new one as gruesome as the last. Why is the report taking so long? It should be here by now.
'Any news on Bunker Hill?' Huson says as he enters my room.
I groan at the fact that there is nothing. 'No, have you?'
Huson shakes his head. 'The battle happened a few days ago, the largest land battle in the course of this war, and possibly ever witnessed in this island's history, yet we know nothing about it.'
I lean back into my chair anxiously, my mind teaming with every possible outcome.
'If you don't mind, sir, I might as well see myself off.'
'Do you think we have won?' I ask before he can leave the room.
He turns to me, considering about the war in its entirety. The reports, the horrible rumours. Could we have won? Could we win against them?
'No, I think we have lost.'
I nod in agreement. 'What do you think we should do?'
'Why do you care?'
'Answer the question, Sergeant. I need a second opinion on this.'
Huson folds his arms while he looks down on me. 'I don't know, Commander. Fight them perhaps?'
How helpful. Then again, I didn't expect much from a colonist, even if he is useful in a fight. But I can't be alone on this. It feels wrong to think we lost a major battle like this. Treasonous even. So many lives, gone, our army possibly decimated, destroyed from former slaves of all people.
It's shameful to think we have lost. I don't know what we could do after. Or what I would do.
A woman barges into my room, gasping for air from her run. 'A message, for Commander Regali.'
'What is it, courier?' I ask her.
She straightens herself up, locking her arms by her side. 'General Earl wants to inform you that the battle of Bunker Hill was a success, and he would like you to send the rest of your troops west to help fight off the Dog threat.'
I smile in relief. It was a success. Thank the Gods! It wasn't as bad as I thought.
'Thank you. Inform Earl, I will personally lead my men to assist him.'
'Th... thank you Commander Reg-'
Huson raises his sword to her throat.
'What are you doing, Huson?' I growl at him.
'She is lying. There was no victory.'
The woman raises her hands, shaking as her eyes water. 'Please, I'm just a messenger.'
'Shut up!' Huson shouts, placing the blade lightly on her throat, drawing a drop of blood.
'Huson, let her go! Do you know what you are doing?'
'She is lying through her teeth, Commander. We haven't won the battle, have we?'
She stays silent, not because she is scared, but as if she is hiding something.
I lower my voice to a calming tone. 'Did we win the battle of Bunker Hill?'
She shakes her head as tears run down her face. 'No! No, we didn't,' she mumbles.
'She isn't lying, Commander.' Handcock walks into the room smoking his pipe. 'The battle was a total disaster. The Dogs didn't just win the battle. They took down one of your airships, not to mention two of your Pretorian guards.'
Oh Gods, oh Gods no. I stumble back into my chair as I imagine how the battle played out. A total disgrace! Slaves slew the Empress's mightiest warriors, and they took down the symbol of our Empire. This couldn't be happening. This shouldn't happen to us! We are the world's protectors, the guardians of what is right and wrong. And we lost to them?
'What are your orders?' Huson ask me.
I sigh as I rub my forehead. 'Inform General Earl that I will not send any more troops to him. Tell him he is on his own,' I say to the messenger.
He won't like that, but I don't care. He lied to me to save his own skin, endangering my city.
'She is free to go, Huson.'
He lowers his sword. She mumbles a thanks before leaving the room. Maybe saying something else under her breath as well, but I don't know. I don't think it would matter to know what it is.
Handcock puffs on his pipe. 'What now, lad?'
'Evacuate the city. I'll tell you the rest later,' I say to Huson.
Huson nods before leaving the room.
'Well, I best be off.'
I step in front of Handcock before he could leave the room. 'How do you know?'
He puffs on his pipe. 'Know what?'
'That we lost. How come you know?'
'I have my ways.' He winks.
Before he can leave, I grab onto his arm.
'Don't play games with me, old man. Answer my question or-'
'Or what?' Handcock interrupts me. 'Just so you know, you are not in a position to question me. I have my ways and you have your own. So don't be surprised other nations have their own methods of gathering information. If you want me to continue my support. I suggest you let go of me.'
Bloody humans, the whole lot of them are disgusting. But he is right, I can't lose his support to defend my city.
I groan in frustration as I let him go.
Handcock smiles as he leaves my room.
He must have spies, or he must've bribed other Commanders. Something isn't right about him. He came to support my city while he could safely watch the war from somewhere else. Something about his motives don't make sense.
However, he is useful to me. For now. But I can't risk that he will betray me. I need to keep an eye on him and his fellow humans.
But first I need a drink.